Thread: Cheetah Cub

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cheetah Cub

Attached Images Attached Images

Image taken at Mashatu, Botswana about 2 years ago. I'm about to head back to Africa, so wanted to review the images I had taken in the last 3 trips. Sadly to say, I realized I made so many basic mistakes in the first two, mostly too slow SS and under expose. It appeared I did better on the 3rd trip 2 years ago keeping my SS reasonably high. We had incredible encounter with a Cheetah family with 4 nearly grown cubs. On this morning, The Mother was trying to hunt, but there were 3 pesky Hyenas who kept shadowing the family. So they played a game hide and seek and at one point 3 of the cubs got up on this tree to try to find Mom.

1DX
    100-400 II @ 170mm
    1/1000
    f5.6
    ISO-1600
    HH

The light was bright and the colors were off. I couldn't get it right, so decided to try B&W.

Appreciate your comments as I will head back in about 2 weeks. Looking forward to meet Marc at Lake Ndutu.

Thank you

Loi

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Loi - I like the diagonal line of the cheetah coming down the mound. The b&w conversion works but there some of the whites on the cheetah appear hot. The bits of branches/twigs coming down from the top of the frame are distracting. Up to you whether to remove them. It's always a good idea to look back in preparation for an upcoming trip. Enjoy.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Loi,

I love the image. I've never tried to work in B&W but was wondering if darkening the background a little might highlight the cheetah a bit more. I really like the eyes and the pose. I think it's a great image.

Best Regards,
    Ken

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good idea Loi, for me the highlights especially under the chin and neck are too bright. I try to turn a blind eye to minor distractions but I agree with Rachel about the twigs at he top of the frame.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Loi i like the down tree moving cheetah .The angle is nice and you have a very pleasing BG .
    But from the technical POV this goes into the bin from my POV .
    I think not even going B/W will save this frame .... sorry just being honest .
    Hope you will remember your failures ..... .... i mostly forget and make the same again from time to time

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Loi -- definitely i would love photograph a Cheetah on such a perch , but this image is not working for me either , because of the distracting FG and the blown out highlights , sorry ! , Wish you all the very best for your trip .

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose and composition here Loi. I do agree you overcooked some of the whites/highlights? Unless it's like that in the original RAW, easy to correct when starting from scratch.
    Enjoy your upcoming return! Are you only going to Tanzania?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE