Thread: Bison calves at Kelly warm springs

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bison calves at Kelly warm springs

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Canon 100-400 L IS @340mm ISO 3200 + 0.66, 1/600 sec f6.3
    I used ACR and PSCC for this one (it was easier to get to an acceptably close colour balance for some reason)
    All C&C welcome.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the symmetry here Jonathan with nice eye to eye contact, the yellow in the grass looks somewhat flat/washed out here, but you were there of course. There is a case for an even wider perspective, taking in all the pine forest and hillside as well.

Some might say your S/S is lacking but I'm perfectly happy for this scape as you have good quality, right DOF & sharp where it needs to be.

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan-- lovely feel here to the image , and subjects are nicely popping up against the light coloured grass. Nice details in the subject , I might go for a bit more punch on the top portion of the frame consisting of trees as it appears a bit flat to me. Agree with Marc on a wider perspective. Also in an ideal world there would have been better separation of the subject from the herd in the BKG .

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

They certainly look like they're about to go handbags!
    Nice one - in an ideal world there'd be no bison behind them overlapping, but that's a minor point.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - They certainly look like they are getting ready to practice for the rut when they are older. Good pov and excellent comments and suggestions above, all of which I agree with.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan,

I like that this image is an 'action' shot. As others have said, the POV and symmetry are very good.

Best Regards,
    Ken

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone. the background troubled me a bit, I wasn't happy it looked messy and a bit noisy, originally it was a bit blue too. I decided to mute it so it wasn't so noticable ... but you guys noticed!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon good looking shot of the two youngsters having a sort of sparring in the beginning .
    Well framed and the stunning backdrop adds to the scene , well in a really nice world the other Bisons would not have been there .... but you had to take them as they are . So no big deal for me.
    I like the overall tone and color palette , just asking for curiosity ....why that warm WB ? I would expect bit more coolness .... but not a big thing. You were there .
    Why are you having issues with DPP or DXO ( not my favorite ) to get the color balance right ?

TFS Andreas

BTW try definitely C1 .... is supposed to be the best beside DPP as per Canon Germany ? Not officially for sure .But i warn you .... it is rather complex to work with and it is not learned in a short session .I try hard to get my hands on it and leave DPP aside for the time being.
    You can try for 30 days fully workable .
    A lot of advantages over DPP
    My most important things are

ProPhoto Color space from the beginning
    Localized adjustments
    Better tools for color correction in the Raw stage
    Linear tone curve ( usable compared to DPP ) as a staring point

Cheers Andreas
    Last edited by Andreas Liedmann; 01-18-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Andreas, the problem was with DPP, I did have a peep at C1, I will try the 30 trial starting tomorrow!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I can only suggest ..... not to jump from one to the other very quickly .... instead get your hands on one in depth and let the other one stay aside .
    Just risk to get into some trouble and learn from it ...

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the interaction here, Jon! Wonderful behavioural image with those two young characters measuring up to each other.

Framing is great, lovely colours, BG looks good albeit a tad busy with those few bison peppered here and there:)

Good sharpness and detail IMO. Overall a pleasing frame, thank you so much for sharing.

I would like to know, did the two eventually clash or was it just a tease? Have you more images from this instance?

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela I have many shots of interaction with heads engaged and nearly so, the trouble is the background - too may bison in the wrong place! This was just about the clearest shot, I will double check.

13. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, a fun image with youngsters at pay.

Not sure f it needs a slight rotation and I think you gat get more depth/separation from the FG in terms of the colour.

ProPhoto has it's Pros & Cons Jon, not sure how much you would benefit from it, plus files will be bigger, likewise storage capacity.

CP1 is good and agree it is rather more 'complex' in it's options and navigation/architecture (hasn't change from when I first used it ,over 12 years ago), but a hefty bill to pay up front, this is where I feel you would score with LR & PSCC2017, but your call.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve I will take another look about tonal ranges.
    Tried ProPhoto decided to ditch it also C1 - far too sophisticated for my needs - includes all sorts of professional file management systems - just don't need it so back to ACR and DPP simplicity for me!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Tried ProPhoto decided to ditch it also C1 - far too sophisticated for my needs - includes all sorts of professional file management systems - just don't need it so back to ACR and DPP simplicity for me!
    I personally feel you have to be 'comfortable' in what you use, PSCC2017 has some advantages of your current ACR Jon, you may like to trial it?

Cheers
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon it's the action and concentration of these two that makes this for me,perhaps more impact without the other animals but it would be lovely to have everything we would like.

Keith.