Thread: Motherhood

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Motherhood

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

I am sharing this for interest' sake, for fun too, but also to get your opinions, be it of a technical nature or otherwise.

This is almost FF, a slight crop (mostly from the RHS), subjects moving fast and some other characters present, almost impossible to frame properly. The 300 F2.8 would have been the solution but at the time I noticed those three Moms running I was mesmerised by the little one you saw my previous posts, he was quite far so I needed the 500 to get close to him. I quickly moved the side view mirror as it was in my way and shot one burst, aiming at the only pair of eyes looking my way. Does this work for you or you think I should bin it?

Nikon D4
    Nikon 500F4
    ISO 2000
    F6.3
    1/2000s

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- Why would you think to bin something like this ? Look at those babies clinging to their mother's and the mothers having some sort of interaction, a very nice frame . Looks sharp with nice details. Quite tight all around that's the one thing I would have liked to address but things happen very quickly in the wild. A fun image indeed !

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, I hope more will chime in, as you are so good at chiming in on others.

This really does capture life in the troop and I don't mind the framing, albeit a sliver more at the foot if possible. I like also the fact that each Baboon has it's own youngster, but all are in different positions & poses within frame, nice interaction. Is the LH Mum too OOF? The whole series is great, because each frame has a different behavioural aspect and diversity to the post.

Yes a fraction more DoF (f/10 perhaps), but I think it would be too much to get all in, although I feel you needed more SS and perhaps a slightly slower frame rate too, there is a rational to my thinking here?

Keep them coming, as the series brings a bit of humour and daily life, peppering the other postings.

TFS
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela no don't bin it! I like the image it is full of interest and visual appeal. I think it would probably be almost impossible to get the ideal DOF with the 500 - maybe with the shorter lens.
    My only slight negative is that I keep switching from the central adult in focus to the baby in the right foreground who appears to be just out of focus.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a really nice story-telling image. I don't mind that the framing is a tad tight, and of course getting all of them deeply in focus would be nigh impossible with the gear you use.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, what a lovely scene. The mother in the middle seemed to be "talking" to the one on her left (our right), and each has a baby. What a lovely scene. Yes, it is a pity that you didn't have more frame or lower focal length. For the purpose of posting and sharing, no, I don't mind that it is a bit tight. But I suspect in your heart of heart, you would like a wider shot. We have all been there. Loi

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela as i have already seen this i keep it short .
    Love the content ..... a really story telling image .Great work and timing while shooting .
    Just one wish .... where was the 70-200 ????

TFS Andreas

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - Another storytelling image and I wouldn't bin it but I probably would not print it either. As you indicated, just the slightest amount of additional room on the left and below would be preferable. Colors look good and I like the expression/eyes of the mom in the middle. I do feel the one on the left is a little too oof with movement evident on her baby. In an ideal world the head of the one on the left would not intersect the main subject either. You need to start keeping the 70-200 on a body next to you so that you can put down the 500 and easily grab it when certain opportunities present.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you dear Friends,

Glad you're smiling, and I so appreciate your comments and critique

I will not bin this but I assure you I won't print it either, thinking it might fit in well with another few frames for a Story Sequence?

For your information, the 70-200 was on my lap:) With the D810 attached, LOL. Just no time to put the 500 down, as I said, I was looking at something else when I saw those mamas with babies.

Will go back there and look for this bunch, hopefully I find them all in a good mood and they allow me to get close. But not this close:)

Hope you all have an awesome week-end,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela sorry a bit late but being a bit selfish I wanted to learn about the dof on this, so it really interesting to read the views of others and yourself and how you took the image,I love the interaction between the adults,it all tells a story. Thanks for showing us this and i certainly would not consider binning this.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Keith - not selfish of you at all, glad you learnt something from this, so did I

Have a super week-end,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea