Thread: Seal fight

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Seal fight

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks this time it is real .... no play flighting , as it is winter time .
    Saw this fight from the beginning to the bloody end , man that was impressive how fast this big boys can turn and twist their bodies .
    I was real struggling to keep them in focus .
    More to come the next days .
    Taken during my recent trip to Helgoland .

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 500 IS L
    Tripod

F 8 ; Iso 25600 ; 1/2000 sec ; man exp

Processed with C1 and PS CC 2017; no more space around as it is FF .

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous thread.

Cheers Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The flying sand adds to the sense of action. On first opening the image it was a bit hard to decypher what was happening with the seal on the right because its head is turned so much (no eyes or teeth latch onto), but the pin-sharp focus on the other seal really makes up for it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It looks grey in hegoland Andreas,like here,sadly But, what an image,so much movement in the sand kicked up by their strength. So much detail in their dark shapes: your processing will always amaze me

I think how you have framed this sooooo close ,and tight, brings out the intensity in the conflict. I like the rear raised flipper and the fact it is oof it conveys movement to me. Andreas I haven't mentioned eyes although so important and again there is emotion in that upper they sort of feel secondary to me here i I love that sand frozen in the air it conveys so much
    very cool !!
    take care
    Stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas great frame filling action shot with all that flying sand and real aggression between these two,the only tiny thing that bugs me is the whisker on the top one looks like it's poking into it's eye, feel I need to push it to one side or better still chop it off,this is been super picky.Would not like to be on the receiving end of that bite.One great catch.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The intensity of this action is expertly captured right down to the detail of flying grains of sand !!!! The intense expression also really adds to things !! Naturally the colours are dull and rather grey however you have done such an incredible job of making them pop !!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- Superb stuff from you yet again. That scattered sand is adding so much to the image as it is giving an impression of a tough and fast action. Great techs to achieve that ss , 1DX m2 is turning out to be a great addition for you. Processing is superb. Certainly very tight frame but conveys the action well and hence not a deal breaker for me. Real nit picking from keith , that whisker doesn't bother me at all . A fine action image for me with great on field craft by you.

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, certainly the fur was flying here.

I just wondered about a tad more in the 3/4 dark tones and on the sand just for some more depth, but just a personal thought, but I know you like tech tuff. I would however address the white area top RHC.

TFS
    Steve

PS yes I did add 2 points on the WB.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey folks thanks a lot for your comments , much appreciated .

Keith - what you are saying is really nit picking , but i am really ok with that !!! But no way to avoid that and i will not remove that whisker !!!! As i stated in the intro these guys moved sooooo fast while fighting i was happy to keep them in the frame .

Steve thanks for the RP , i like what you did , WB well matter of taste . But ok what you did .I am fine with the URC .

Here is my version with your suggestion ( created without seeing yours ) , as i saw your comment only via email , and had no idea that you posted an RP . I always like suggestions being illustrated by an RP !!!!!

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas It sounds like nit picking but maybe I did not explain myself very well ,was thinking more of that whisker sticking in the poor things eye,and how i could help to take away any irritation

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

thumbs up and thanks Keith , no worries mate . Now i understood what you were talking about .

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow this is an action attention seeking shot, loved the first image loved the second loved the third! I think image two and three are more visually attractive than one, the enhanced contrast and subtle control over top RHC.
    I am always looking at the processing trying to see subtle differences, adjusting the jpeg isn't the same as going back to raw but they both look so good.
    NAdreas I note C1 - I am assuming "Capture One" any comments on it's merits as opposed to DPP 4.5.20?

12. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas - Great action. The flying sand and tight framing really add to the drama and intensify the feeling when viewing. The rp take it up a notch.

TFS,
    Rachel