Thread: Greenfinch (2)

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Greenfinch (2)

Another fro my greenfinch set.
    7D2 with 400 DO ISii + 1.4tc
    1/1000 f5.6 ISO 200
    Shadows lightened, sharpened in LR, converted to JPEG and final sharpening in PS. Cropped about 20%.

Given the ISO I could probably have gone for greater DOF but any comments welcome.

Name:  20161228-Greenfinch MY8A9470-102-final sharpen-2.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  363.0 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Details look fine to me Mike, not sure the extra DoF would have been particularly beneficial here given the camera to subject distance, and it's sharp where it matters. Although the light is coming from the right I think it works for this shot.

I think you could do with changing the crop, having the bird facing the outside of the frame isn't ideal, I'd like to lose about half of the negative space off the left and replace it on the right.

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I think one is better than the other one for sure. Light is better and there is less noise. Nice perch and I love the background.

I think the image is on the dark side and would benefit with raising the exposure and getting some additional saturation. Did a quick edit where I upped the exposure and saturation. Also raised added a bit of canvas on top as it looks a bit cramped. Took room away from the left and added it to the right. This is always better if done on the original.

There are a few other things that need attention on this picture. It looks like you cloned out the rest of the perch that is to the right of the bird. But it is just rounded off and does not look natural to me.

Also the edge of the tail and the back of the bird has a funny halo around it. Like you did not select it correctly and has a halo. I would try and fix that.

As to the crop, most times it is better to have room for the bird to look into. So you want to have more room to the right and less on the left.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you both for your comments.

Mike - having seen Issac's repost I agree regards the balance of the picture.

Isaac - the perch was a pruned branch hence the 'unnatural' look to it. The tail has the halo in the original (posted below) but the shadow recovery has clearly accentuated it. Because it was in the original I was not sure whether to do some correction but decided to leave it - but I note that the shadow recovery also accentuated the 'halo' along the back as well.

I have just started experimenting with flash and looks like it may have been useful here.

Name:  Greenfinch MY8A9470 -103.JPG
Views: 52
Size:  240.9 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice frame Mike, and I like Isaacs repost. The crop looks better. The feather detail looks good, as does the HA. The BG colour shows the bird well.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike I prefer Isaac's repost re the composition but prefer your original of the bird with a nice natural look ,I find the repost just looks a little over sharpened,all a matter of taste.

Keith.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike under these circumstances I would have overexposed by 1/3 I think this would have rendered better detail in the plumage. Regarding the sharpening I would have been tempted not to sharpen in the region of the ghosting on the tail. I agree about repositioning slightly more over to the left.