Thread: From out of the shadows...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default From out of the shadows...

Attached Images Attached Images

The majority of the pack were off back hunting a herd of Lechwe about half a mile away, chasing them through the water, but as we parked up, a few of the pack stirred from out of the shadows, with faces still showing signs of the previous meal

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve
    Subject: African wild dog (Lycaon pictus)
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/5.6 ISO1600
    Original format: Landscape, very slight crop
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey buddy,are you well good sir. Steve there is something very appealing to me within that dark BKG and a lit subject,so you have already "hooked" me . Love the stance Steve,the slight head turn almost makes me think the dog is stalking something,raised foot adds as does the remnants of their last kill in a macabre way. A lot of mystery in this one for me mate,sorry struggling to articulate but i'll try: It's like there is more story here than you have told me ,which is wonderful for the onlooker . It makes me want to stare Steve while I figure out that story.

The red spot on the right ear ,which I presume is blood sits wrong for me Steve as does the dot on nose ( maybe better muzzle ,I don't mean the nasal hilight). The blood is part of the story I'm questing for mate,but at the resolution i'm viewing at they distract me,at first I thought maybe dead pixel or similar. Steve I feel that if the image was bigger this might not effect me so. But here it's really grabbing my eye,which being me I'm surprised at. It could be the light reflecting off them maybe they could be just toned down. I wouldn't want to take the blood away from this and feel I'm micro nit picking,cause the frame is something I really like,but they really grab me

TFS I've had a soft spot for these since childhood,they were the subject I painted for my art exam at school,it must be unbelievable to be with them

take care

Stu

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very good morning to you Steve,

Just as the title says, this character really pops out from the shadows. I love the sombre mood created by the absence of light in the BG and presence of blood on the wild dog's face. Despite what looks like a decent belly index the pose suggests he is still in hunting mode. Those chaps move fast, tails wagging, lots of vocalisation going on, eye contact and touching. They constantly separate and reunite, never easy to predict their next step. So great techs in anticipation of this opportunity here, it must have been pretty exciting!

The shadows on the one side of the face also help tell the story. I would have probably been tempted to lift them a bit, but I see clearly why you didn't. A well composed frame with enough space for the subject to look into, colours are great, nice detail and sharpness as expected.

Thank you so much for sharing, a pleasure to view. A lot of thinking goes into processing your images and this morning I took some time to get behind it. I do not have a list of things (technical or otherwise) to look for in any given image, to me it is all about unravelling what works and why. As soon as I achieve that I instantly feel have learnt another lesson. I love telling stories about the animals I come across, I think you do too. There's a lot more to your images than the eye sees at first glance and I still have a lot to learn from you.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- That face must have been right inside its prey ! I liked that meat and blood smacked face, conveys what these animals are all about. The Bg certainly helps in separating the subject. Nicely processed with good details and sharpness. The fg shrub intersecting with its paws is robbing us of a good clean look but then it was there.

I see some cyan creeping in the whites of its elevated front leg . A fine image here.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks, although I think someone is having fun with the viewing figures.

Stu, no worries, keep your thoughts & views coming, say what you think good or bad, all good.

Gabriela I wish I could write as well as you, your replies always have a lovely depth to any posting and really bolsters the posting, can we all ask you to write for all of us, prior to posting please? Half the fun is just watching these guys and the whole relationship within the pack and the hierarchy, but also how they hunt, with each member playing a key role and each one knowing their task too.

Cheers Haseeb, can't see the cyan though????

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Cheers Haseeb, can't see the cyan though????

Might be the monitor, but the re-calibration warning is yet to appear !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It works well with the blood-stained face and the dark shadow behind the dog, Steve.
    In a perfect world that bush in front would be gone, but otherwise nicely framed and clean surrounds.
    Still early in the afternoon, judging by the light? 3-4pm?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Still early in the afternoon, judging by the light? 3-4pm?
    9.34am, taking into account for the additional hour ahead for local time.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve... nice story behind the image .
    I like the title and the fact that the WD coming from there.... the dark.
    As it stands ... i must say that the image is not really grabbing me , sorry.
    I do find the head turn quite akward and the shooting angle is also not that good in combo with the head turn.
    As always technically very well executed ... but what else to expect from you..

TFS Andreas

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - You handled the mixed/harsh light well but I too find the pose and angle a bit awkward. I understand that you were restricted in the angle by the vehicle but I just know you have much better wild dog shots. I'm not seeing the cyan either.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve suppose it makes life easier to go for the straight forward shots but this proves what can be achieved,something different that I like a lot.

Keith.