Thread: Short Eared Owl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Short Eared Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

This owl was one from early Dec. They never want to show when the light is optimal, usually arrive at the last 30 min. of shootable light.
    1DX, 500/4, 1000mm, iso 1000, f8, 1/250. Used define for noise reduction, and some out put sharpening, also with NIK. Always nervous posting here,
    so many incredible photographers. Thanks for looking.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike if it helps at all I'm across the pond and my SEO's are doing just the same always get up when little light,so it's very cool to see you got this and also inspiring for me. Mike i'm not the guy to advise just wanted to say love the look back and also the perch and of course those eyes. I do wonder if you could have pushed the iso further but as someone learning really that is a debate for others to help you with. Keep trying Mike maybe the food supply will lower and we might both get better chances towards the end of the winter

Good luck cheers for sharing this,it's always inspiring to see someone trying when things are tricky

take care

Stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike, please don't hesitate to post here, we all learn from each other and it's great to see different types of photos. I also spent a few days last month shooting SEO's, they are fun and very photogenic. you did well here, I actually like your settings, to answer Stuart's question you could have gone to ISO 3200 but the SS would have still been too slow for flight/action so this setting was good (on tripod?).

The key with owls is to get well-lit symmetric wide open eyes which you did here, I also like the perch and its small details. It would have been nice if you had a better BG to work with but that was out of your control and given that BG is blank I would go for a vertical composition here to focus more on the owl. A touch of saturation/warmth and also sharpening would also help

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

4. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice Shot. I love the eyes. Owls are always my favorite subjects. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to photograph them as yet.

Thank you for sharing the image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

cool looking owl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Arash said:" I actually like your settings, to answer Stuart's question you could have gone to ISO 3200 but the SS would have still been too slow for flight/action so this setting was good (on tripod?)."

Hand held out the car window actually, thanks for your kind words Arash. I admire your photography and knowledge.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike, nice looking owl. Agree with Arash on his critique -- I would adjust the white balance as the image looks a bit cold / blue to me. Really impressive that you can get a sharp image at 1000mm at 1/250!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Becker View Post
    Hi Mike, nice looking owl. Agree with Arash on his critique -- I would adjust the white balance as the image looks a bit cold / blue to me. Really impressive that you can get a sharp image at 1000mm at 1/250!
    I think my arm was resting on the window ledge so not quite 100% hand held. Sorry about that. mq

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the pose here, and the way that the texture of the perch is similar to the feather pattern.
    I agree with Alex that the whites on the face have a blueish tinge to them.