Thread: Shingwedzi Elephants

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Shingwedzi Elephants

Attached Images Attached Images

Have just returned from a difficult photography week in the Kruger National Park. Mercifully it rained for almost the entire trip which was GREAT for the fauna and flora however not so great for photography. I took this image from the Shingwedzi High water bridge during one of the rare breaks in the cloud

Canon 1D4
    200-400 F4

F5.6
    1/1250
    ISO 400
    Last edited by Basil Dardagan; 01-14-2017 at 12:39 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Basil,
    Great capture. Ireally like the way the elephants are lined up and the sharpness is very good. I might have put the elephants a littlehigher in the frame, but the way you have it works well. At what focal length were you shooting?
    Ken

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the line of elephants and your inclusion of plenty of habitat. Remember this spot well. Elephants maybe up a bit in the frame but a minor complaint. Great image!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gents - this was at 362mm. The reason for placing the ellies a little lower than usual is that I was trying to portray just how magnificent the riverbed is and particularly the size of the surrounding trees which for me is the definitive feature of this area. Cheers

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Basil - Great to hear that Kruger area is getting some much needed rain and to see it so lush and green. Sorry, you had a week's worth of rain though. I quite like this image with the processional and lush environs. Love the little eles too. Nice one.

TFS,
    Rachel

P.S. I added the "Theme" prefix
    Last edited by Rachel Hollander; 01-14-2017 at 09:31 AM. Reason: added P.S.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Basil,

Beautiful capture, I take it Kruger must have been stunning after the rain:)

And you had the ellies lined up so nicely - super framing and colours, a very pleasing frame from the aesthetic POV.

BTW I can see this working as a pano as well. Love the lush vegetation in the BG and the relatively clean FG, the subjects stand out so nicely. A tiny curve adjustment would make the subjects pop even more, but only if you like:)
    Really enjoyed viewing, this brought fond memories of my last visit to the Kruger Park. Well seen and processed, Basil - thank you so much for sharing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Basil -- A very nice frame and liked the framing with Ele's lined up nicely against the green backdrop . Nicely processed as well . Agree with the curve adjustment as mentioned by Gabriela .

Very well done .

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Basil, love the single file procession and the raised trunk is priceless.

Being parallel to the parade square is spot on. Having a sliver more content at the foot would be nice, I just feel it's a tad tight?

I think with this image, adding some selective Contrast & Shadow (darkening) just brings some more depth to the vegetation will help, but be sparing. Backing off perhaps with the Orange may help provide some more separation between subject and soil, if needed????

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Basil ,I feel you have achieved your goals with this image. i've not been to Africa so know little really about this environment,but was instantly struck by the scale your image portrays. The lush vegation is heart warming but a tinge of sadness that you had so much rain while there. To get them lined up parallel to the camera wonderful and I just love those trunks . I can see why they guys mentioned a bit more lower down,but for me this works ,especially with what you were trying to achieve in mind,the sheers scale is incredible.

Thanks for sharing this it instantly made us both smile

take care

Stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Basil lovely elephant procession , great that you got them lined up perfectly .
    The setting is very nice with all the greenery . Agree with Steve regarding the oranges , well worth to try .
    TFS Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this one, Basil and the way you have included the sky to show the full range of the scenery. Given the choice of this or more at the bottom, I think I prefer this one as it gives it more of an envinronmetal feel.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everybody for some really great comments and pointers - i really appreciate them all !!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Basil - so glad the park got lots of rain but can imagine it was tough for photography
    this spot is one of my favourite places to sit and stare - the Shingwedzi river is so lush and beautiful
    I like the side-on view, and agree a tad more below could work - presume the bridge rail got in the way?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE