Attached Images Attached Images

Camera Model Name Canon EOS-1D X
    Canon 100-400 L IS
    Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/500
    Av (Aperture Value) 8.0
    Exposure Compensation 0.333333
    ISO Speed 4000
    DPP & PSCC

I left a little more space for the feet this time!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John, surely there are many wonderful images you have posted which I haven't seen, I have been absent for some time. But to me this is your best image to date

I just love the 3D feel here and the comp is great! Everything works! Lovely detail on the Elk and the tonality is superb. That "curtain" of trees in the BG sets the scene - this is so beautiful.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan,
    Good separation with the background. I like the pose and the composition. Nice image.
    Ken

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon .... you asked me ... you get it
    Just starting technical ... overall it does look well processed to me .Sharpening looks good to me and you some nice fine detail in the fur . The blacks do look strong and you have lost detail in them .... all three channels are clipped in the low res file . Avoid too strong blacks before downsizing.
    You have some magenta creeping in , in the darker parts of the fur ( face and neck)
    Not sure about the overall warm color , for sure a subjective opinion and you have been there .
    The emotional side .... well i like the forest backdrop and the FG with the various dried plants and the grass .
    The Elk itself , or better said the pose is not that appealing to me , but this is just my opinion .I might crop a bit tighter .

So that was my full honest opinion .... TFS Andreas

PS overall a very good IQ !!!

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela and Ken.
    Andreas, cheers I appreciate your detailed analysis. I must admit I did not check the final jpeg before posting (on reflection a bit stupid really!). The clipping you refer to - well again it didn't occur to me at the time but it probably occurred during conversion, just a tiny bit from what I can determine.
    The magenta, well for some reason I have noticed this in the Yellowstone images but not in any others - I don't know why. I suppose I could be accused of being lazy, I wasn't happy with the straight raw conversion in DPP so I went for the Cloudy setting as opposed to adjusting colour temp and then targeting the elk in Hue/Sat in PS. You have given me more food for thought - don't just keep on a steady consistent algorithm, often good - BUT keep thinking laterally... and check that final jpeg, something I have not previously done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon i try to analyze every image before posting to find things that are not " correct" , but still very often overlook stuff ......this is when all you guys out there come into play , you look with different eyes and might see things that i do not see , we can all help each other !!!!

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon - This is very nice and I really like the flowers in the fg grasses. Andreas has given you several tweaks that will take an already very good image to another level. The only thing I would add is that it looks like it needs some cw rotation. All the trees in the bg are leaning left. I am really enjoying your Yellowstone images.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon -- I dont have anything to add here after such a detailed analysis by Andreas and comments by others . But as presented this is a very good image with lovely settings , certainly i would love to have something like this .

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You did well here... Good comments posted by many!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A lovely portrait, well executed.

TFS
    Steve