Thread: Desert Black Rhinoscape

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Desert Black Rhinoscape

Attached Images Attached Images

A wider view of mother and 18 month old calf with a bit of the environment. Obviously, I won't say where this was taken but it was taken in the reddish/yellow glow of shortly before sunset.

Canon 5D3
    70-200 II @ 190mm
    1/500
    f5.6
    ISO 800
    HH from safari vehicle. A little heavier crop than I would normally do. This is about 70% of ff with the crop being from the right and below. Levels, curves and selective sharpening in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rachel could I see the full version please? I don't mean a RAW I mean I'm interested in why you have cropped and actually how the image works as you originally framed it.

I like the movement Rachel (beyond just hoping they are left alone which was my first thought on viewing), it's cool how you caught that presise moment when mum and calf's feet are in all but the same position the dust adds I also like the red are they termite mounds.?

Lovely to view thank you for sharing
    Rache my monitor is both new and uncalibrated I've not been to Africa,so this is to be taken in that in mind: the colour looks a bit yellow but it's not the warmth I see at sunset It's strange Rachel I can't put my finger on what but something seems a little odd,this is probably nothing or rather simply me and I nearly didn't include this bit ,but feel I should as the musings that follow might be interesting

lovely to view and what an enchanting experience for you

TFS

take care
    Stu

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel -- Very nice to see a Rhino habitat shot amidst lovely golden hues. Nice feel to the image because of the environment suggesting the place in which they thrive . Really liked this one .

TFS !

5. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Haseeb and Stu. Stu - I cropped to remove too much fg as well as a distracting bush in the lrc.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rachel I like the composition and the the foreground exposure. The hide of the rhinos appears to be well rendered, both rhinos appear to be very healthy animals.
    There isn't a lot of sky but what there is looks pretty bland, it probably was of course but I am wondering if at raw conversion it would be possible to tease out just a little detail? I think even if it was just a little darker if nothing else it would help presentation??

8. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel always a great pleasure to see alive Blackies , lovely warm colors and a pleasing setting you captured .
    I am fine with the sky in terms of tone and color , somewhat typical i guess.Good placement of the rhinos with lots of space for them to move into , i would prefer a little FG though.
    If this was taken shortly before sunset i would expect to have a slightly overall darker image , but you were there .
    Enjoyed watching ....
    TFS Andreas

10. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon and Andreas for the comments and suggestions. Andreas - I looked back and it was probably about 30 minutes before sunset.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Rachel,

This is one special sighting and a scene I would have loved to witness myself, not one but two Black Rhino and a lovely sunset

Happy with the colours overall and in fact I am quite taken with that golden glow on the subjects. IMO the pale sky is consistent with the time of the day you are describing.

In terms of comp, I would take off a tad from the bottom of the frame, just above the first ant mound.

I particularly like the inclusion of environment here, Rachel. As well as those two characters who seem to have been stirred by something, dust raising under the youngster's feet, was he releasing any high pitched sounds at all?

Thank you so much for sharing, a pleasure to view. I hope you have more on those two, any close-ups at all?

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

13. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A fine image here and a pleasure to view.. Captures the essence of the location.. Well Done Rachel!

15. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela and Dale, much appreciated. Gabriela, I've posted a couple of others of these pair.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Rachel, nice to see a pair of rhino's in their natural habitat.

I'm probably totally wrong, but for me, the overall colour just swamps things with little colour difference and texture. You can still have the warmth of late afternoon, but also colour definition and more clarity overall. I've not added the blue to the sky, it just came through. Just my take and not being there, this is only guess work based on the 256 colours of sRGB, but have more separation I think helps the subjects.

TFS
    Steve

18. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve, I think mine is probably more accurate to the actual colors but yours does look more pleasing.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just depends on how much separation you want I guess.

21. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post