Thank You Posts

Default Spotted Sandpiper

Name:  27233645686_1a73f1b38b_b.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  118.3 KB
    Canon 7D, 400mm f/5.6L.
    1/1250, f/5.6, ISO 400
    Panama Flats, Victoria BC.

This photo was taken hand held in the evening this summer. There were two Spotted sandpipers foraging in a flooded field and I was able to lie down in a muddy irrigation ditch, which partially acted as a blind (it still didn't take long before they noticed me, but they didn't seem too bothered by me). I was just trying to get as low as possible to isolate the sandpipers from the background. One of the Sandpipers stopped foraging and started bathing in the water, after bathing it fluttered up to dry off (I'm assuming) and as it did so I just held down the shutter.

For post processing I applied basic slider adjustments in Lightroom and selective noise reduction in Photoshop.

Any critique is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Thomas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Thomas, I really like the low angle. Just a few pointers that you could have benefited from... higher shutter speed and higher f stop.
    Head is slightly turned but these things can't be avoided at times, especially during such action. Look forward to seeing more from you.

-Tim

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Tim! I've always tried to keep the ISO as low as I can, sacrificing shutter speed and aperture. From what I've read over the past few days on this site, this seems to be the opposite of what's recommended. I'll be sure to try using higher ISO and faster shutter speeds for future shooting.

Thomas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thomas great to get this from the prone position I shoot HH lying down quite a bit tracking action is not so easy down there WELL DONE!! The pov is wonderful like the droplets I just wish you were closer really

take care

Stu

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Stu! Luckily the movement was mostly vertical, I don't think that I would be capable of tracking action laying down!

Thomas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Thomas agree with Tim on the low angle. Looks nice sometimes we just have to get low to get the best photo. I like the water droplets any time you can add action to a photo it helps.Keep posting.