Thread: Seagull perch..

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Seagull perch..

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi guys.

I mentioned I visited NZ with my grandson in my previous post. I found this bit of driftwood on a beach on the west coast Of the North Island close to New Plymouth. It appealed to me, I wonder what you think? I had to remove a little seagull overflow and its cropped to approx 80 % of the original. It has been processed & converted to B&W in ACR, exported to CS6 where the overflow was removed, the image cropped, and a vignette (using levels) and exposure layer added.

Equipment:
    50D (1D4 was being serviced)
    70 to 200 F2.8 series 1 @ 75mm handheld.
    1/1250 at F10 and ISO 1000

DON

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don, Some nice textures and patterns here, maybe a tad more contrast ofn the processing.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for commenting Don..and happy new year...!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

An interesting one Don.
    I like the added contrast but would try doing it without inducing such a heavy vignette?
    I think the long log behind detracts from the focus on the textures of the main subject - you could have removed it manually given the shooting situation
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Morkel for you comments. I almost didn't post the repost because of the vignette... I like the effect they have of focusing the eye on the subject, but they need to be not apparent to work best. I agree whole heartily that this one is coarse in ever sense of the word, but I chose to let fly anyway. Regarding the log behind, I intentionally did not disturbed the scene because getting realistic tonal gradients back into the sand can be a challenge, for me anyway... thanks for the valuable feedback, have a great new year.

Don

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don, Happy new year! I like what you captured here very much. I don't mind the contrast in the OP, reminds me of the days of film. I do wish you have more on the left, though. Morkel makes a good comment about the log behind, but looks like it also means removing the entire log in the BG, not just the bright part... and that would be a loss to me. Maybe burning the brighter part of the log would help a little bit.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Adhika, happy new years to you too..! I did crop from the left, so when i get a chance I might redo one more time and try to incorporate everyone's input...just to see how it looks..

DON

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don, an interesting chunk of wood for sure...I like the added contrast in the repost but do feel the vignette is a little too heavy as well.