Thread: Bank Vole : Myodes glarolus

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 Bank Vole : Myodes glarolus

Attached Images Attached Images

This image is from the same shoot as last,so a nod to being baited unknowingly and also to being caught with a little bit less DOF than I would desire now . Little fella is right on min focus distance ,infact i'm having to lean back from my HH seated position,I got caught out here and wished with hindsight I'd have stopped down./ Simple inexperience really as I have not shot a live subject so close before this chance,lesson learnt
    He he I have a new monitor ,not calibrated yet but a revelation in what I can now actually see so colours might be of concern. Processed in DPP4 cropped to 16:9

Canon 1Div
    300f 2.8is 1.4 extiii

1/3200
    f4
    iso 2500

Finally I'd like to thank all in this section for the incredible kindness constant encouragement and help over the last year. Your a very talented group of folks and it has been a complete joy to learn from you all
    HAPPY NEW YEAR all may you have the best light and the most wonderful time trying to find those magical moments to capture of our natural world and it's inhabitants.

Stu

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Happy New Year dear Stu

I am truly impressed and delighted with your progress, not just in terms of PP work but also out there in the field - congratulations!

Nice shutter speed to freeze this nose twitching little guy, super capture overall. Love the pose and the framing works for me, I do agree with your self critique regarding DOF.

Tempted to warm this fella up a bit, to me a bit cold in terms of colour but I leave it up to you.

Adorable those shiny little eyes and certainly a huge cuteness factor, I find this truly delightful- very well done

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

3. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cute moment well captured Stu, the low POV with good eye contact enhancing nicely, colours look pretty good on all my cal monitors.

A lesson learnt on DOF and regardless of experience....we have all been there.

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu a happy New Year to you too, a sweet subject to start off 2017 .
    I like the head on view of the little guy , color and tone do look quite good to me . I do not know the species , but i am not sure about the red/orange parts if the fur . I am try to lower the oranges in DPP by setting the slider to -2 or 3 .
    Why have you chosen the 16:9 format ?
    Keep up the good work and with the time .... the results will become better .
    TFS Andreas

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu - Your improvement over the past year has been remarkable. Nice low pov and sharpness. Agree with your self-critique about dof. I would have probably tried portrait format here.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu -- A very Happy New Year to you !

Enjoyed viewing your posts the past year and your comments on our posts as well . great going .

I like this image with a head on view and the low POV making it even more better , like others i too am in agreement with your self critique regarding DOF . All in all a nice image .

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi Stu - Your improvement over the past year has been remarkable. Nice low pov and sharpness. Agree with your self-critique about dof. I would have probably tried portrait format here.

TFS,
    Rachel
    Rachel ,thank you,have the most wonderful new year.

Any improvement shown by me has to be down to the guys in this section of BPN. The tirerless efforts spent on a guy with little is heart warming Rache. Even now just got a new screen,one of your members is behind me helping me along so we can get it calibrated shortly . Your an incredible group of talented folks Rache it has been a complete privalige to spend time here and learn from y'all and be wowed by the images you all make.

Interesting notes on crop Rachel,if I could bring my incredibly talented german mate in here. Andreas thanks for everything over the last year too. I felt with nothing really other than grass in the whole frame as BKG 16:9 would suit,I almost went plano but didn't see a need for width. Essentially I felt the lesser height of 16:9 would allow me to trim more OOF grass
    I thank the colours are right Andreas they do show those red/orange tones in the fur. I did actually ponder them when editing I'll have another look at this and see if I can tweak it a bit.

Buddy slowly and it was always going to be slow with me,I I do feel I am starting to get to grips with things. I've been with some Kestrels over xmas(it's been fabulous andreas),I know I have got images that this time last year I simply could not have got. I have a huge amount to learn yet but I adore doing this so can only think that this journey will continue for as long as I can do it.

Marc Haseeb:thanks guys ha completely caught Marc It was the being so close, I simply had never practiced that close. Gabby suggested a small furry toy to help me get my head around DOF but pf course I didn't think to shoot as min focus distance,thought the senario would never happen. Really good lesson for me Marc.
    Hey Haseeb ,mate I can't wait to see your and every ones' images from the new year on this new screen ,ha ha I'm really excited

take care

Stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu,managed to post this comment tonight thread was closed yesterday. DOF bit is a bit trying with these little fellas that don't often give you a lot of time.I like the cute little face that you have captured,don't think the colour is far out.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a cute little guy... You did well and you learned from mistakes and experience. The best teachers...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu, these guys move fast and I can understand the SS, but I might have traded a little less SS for a tad more DoF. Perhaps a fraction more image content below, or just move the whole crop down a smidgen?

All the very best for 2017.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dale thank you and Happy new year

Steve,yeah I got caught out ,so close buddy so little DOF The minute I saw the images I slapped myself,but it was my first time so close,so not too hard a slap

Fair point on the crop Steve I see what you mean.

Oh and kiddo have the best new year,I hope you can keep doing what you do and keep creating those amazing images
    Thanks so much for everything in 2016

best always

Stu

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much for everything in 2016
    You are most welcome, if I could do more you know I would. If I win the lotto lookout for Postman Pat.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    You are most welcome, if I could do more you know I would. If I win the lotto lookout for Postman Pat.
    You have done too much already and back at ya
    Steve I'll keep it brief because I'm a terrible meanderer but been grafting at the iso with my Kez,not there yet but even in the rain we are still having a ball I'll always be slower than a slow thing to learn but the efforts towards me won't be wasted . I can see now mate PC next

take care

Stu