Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/100
    Av(Aperture Value) 8.0
    Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
    Exposure Compensation +1
    ISO Speed 400
    Auto ISO Speed OFF
    Lens EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    Focal Length 45.0mm
    I have lifted the image a little the colours were quite flat. Do you think it could still take a little more pop? Happy to provide raw if anyone wishes.
    All C&C welcome

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - Did you post the correct image? This looks like the Firehole River not Grand Prismatic Spring which is the large vibrant colored pool often photographed from above (perhaps this is the runoff from the Midway Geyser Basin into the Firehole). Again, I like all the steam rising and the river does act as a nice leading line through the image. I think you can bring out a bit more detail in the trees.

TFS,
    Rachel

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi Jon - Did you post the correct image? This looks like the Firehole River not Grand Prismatic Spring which is the large vibrant colored pool often photographed from above (perhaps this is the runoff from the Midway Geyser Basin into the Firehole). Again, I like all the steam rising and the river does act as a nice leading line through the image. I think you can bring out a bit more detail in the trees.

TFS,
    Rachel
    You are almost certainly right Rachel, probably took the image on the way from one part to the other.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very impressive scene with all the steam, must be even more impressive in real life!. I agree that you could lift the colors of the FG a bit. Composition-wise, I'd be inclined to crop from the top to just under the large overexposed area in the clouds. I find that that area draws my eye away from the action and I don't think it adds to the nice structures you captured in the clouds underneath.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathon.. I am with Rachel WRT the trees. I like the dynamics created by the steam and the water, also agree with Jerry that a little off the top would help keep the eye on the action. My suggestion would be to loose about 1/3 to 1/2 of the sky...

DON

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan...a great scene with all the mist rising....with all the interest in this image occurring on the far bank of the river I see this as a panoramic scene, whereby you could crop some off the bottom and a good portion off the sky to just below the brightest areas of the clouds. I would also lift some detail out of the trees on the left side of the composition.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everyone, I think your suggestions make a significant improvement, I am tempted to reprocess and make a print based upon what you have said.