Thread: Juvenile Red-tailed Hawk

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Juvenile Red-tailed Hawk

Attached Images Attached Images

From New Year's Eve day. I captured this guy just after he took off from his perch, into a hazy-bright high-key sky. As I tracked him, four seconds later he flew across in front of some distant trees. I liked the first flight pose, but also liked the BG of the woods beyond, so I took the liberty of transposing him to the new BG. (The original high-key shot is in the following pane.)

D500, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 800, 1/2500s @ f/6.3 manual, +1.7EC (I had forgotten to reset to zero after a previous outing.)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Here's the original.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill , I really like what you've done with the combination. You've shown the original to be a bit bigger in the frame, and it still seems to be sharp enough so what about the bigger bird with the right side background cut down a bit. [i.e. no tree trunk].I thought it might give the bird a bit more prominence and it still be framed it nicely. Just a thought.
    Ian

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very successful transplant! The darker background makes the bird more prominent in the image. One may wish for a little more eye contact but this bird is clearly focused on something else.