Thread: Hooded Merganser - regular and "arty"

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hooded Merganser - regular and "arty"

Finally got a decent photo of this guy, but it did require a heavy crop. Let me show you the original ....

Name:  untitled-23-2.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  154.9 KB

The ducks are in this brackish-water pond that has a heavy load of weed (ducks feeding on/in it) and it does not make for a great background.

In post-processing (LR CC), I was playing around with changing the settings drastically, and ended up with this other rendition. A happy accident, I think. Sorta High-Key?

Name:  untitled-23-Edit.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  148.7 KB

Curious if you like one better than the other, if so why, and of course any of C&C you care to give.

Many thanks!

Andrew

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Andrew, I'm not sure about this one but admire your open mind!! Mate I think the IQ really needed to be better in the original for this to have worked out,leastways for me personally. The original is quite dark possibly because of the white in the hood? so I've wondered whether the frame is a bit underexposed and that is hampering you. Always interesting to explore though Andrew,keep then coming

take care

Stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, I'm sure IQ suffered a bit from the extreme crop. Lighting was not the best either (ground fog and clouds obscuring the sun at times). But was excited as this was one of the species I had not gotten a photo of before (one of our winter migrants). The second photo was just for fun, but I did find it interesting. I tried the same technique on a couple others and the results were not near as clean or nice.

Oh well -- still have some other photos from this session including a nice Cormorant shot and a nice shot of an Osprey eating ....

Andrew

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andrew I wouldn't want to take from your joy at making an image of a new species at all,i'd have been excited as **** mate Ha ha i'd have probably also got the horrible light to play with too such is my lot. It's always the way when there is something a bit special about and one doesn't have time to choose when one can shoot.

It's just I know how good some of your images are and this isn't quite up to those for me.But i'm still glad you shared it as viewing and musing have been cool for me. Keep at it mate

take care

Stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andrew, I hate to say but neither image have any positives going for them except for
    the enjoyment you got out of it. Keep the passion going.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's OK; I tried, was excited about the species -- will just have to get a better pic of it. Have some others (different birds) from the same session that I will put up that I think will be ok .....

Andrew