Thread: Common Snipe on Lava Rock

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common Snipe on Lava Rock

Attached Images Attached Images

From Myvatn, Iceland last July. We were driving down a road near the lake when we saw this guy fly across in front of us, and land on a distant lava outcrop. We backed up and pulled over, but doubted that he would stay put while we unloaded our gear and got within range. But we trudged through a ditch, over a fence, and slowly crept through a field toward him, taking occasional shots as we got closer. He stayed put. This one is from middle distance, cropped to about 60% of full width. We got closer after this, but I liked the calling pose in this one. Lake Myvatn is in the background.

D7200, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 1250, 1/2000s @ f/7.1 manual.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The calling pose is great but I do not like the placement of the green line horizon ... Either a bit lower or a lot higher would likely have been more pleasing.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the open beak, lichen covered rock and sharpness. I agree with Arthur's horizon comment. Nice image Bill.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great that you caught this calling pose Bill,I am not bothered about the horizon but even though the lava rock is interesting I would take a little bit off the bottom it does dominate a bit,just a personal thing.Snipe itself looks really good with the open bill and nice head angle.Really nice image.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Artie, Jim and Keith. Personally I liked the position of the green/blue transition -- just enough green to capture the rock while leaving the bird mostly in the blue. Personal preference, I guess, with me in the minority. I do have one from closer, without the two-toned BG, which I'll post at some time in the future.