Thread: Beaver On Ice.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Beaver On Ice.

Attached Images Attached Images

I was fortunate to come across this rather obliging beaver loafing around on ice, right next to its' escape hole. It did not mind my presence at all, or so it seemed anyhow. It's tail was mostly hidden behind it's body, but for a few seconds it swung it over in view. Quite the low light, but bracing my lens on a fallen log really helped steady it. Hope you enjoy this image of our National animal!

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/80s., f/4, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, full-frame, reduce a blue cast on the fur by lower the saturation in the blue channel, a bit of burning to get some texture on the ice.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel - Great to see a close up of a beaver. Well composed and I do like seeing the tail in the frame. Nice detail and sharpness. It works for me.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice to see a different subject Dan, excellent detail, especially given the conditions you must have been in. Not often we complain about being too close, but a little looser framing would have been nice, but fully understand you moving may have spooked him.

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel this is lovely is the colour pallette lighter on the face due to drier/drying fur? It's beautiful how the golden tones frame his face,or hers. The frame made us both smile it almost looks likes someone has taken it's fur gloves or rather the fur gloves it should have, The front feet add so much to this frame Dan ,it works for me I find your shutter speed and sharpness amazing here ,my only tiny nit might be to have the tail sharper but I'd def rather have it in frame than not.

Happy new year Dan cor you produce some fine images . A real joy viewing this frame Dan and a smile too. They ,beavers,seem to be making a prescence here now, having been reintroduced after we did for them. They split folks a bit but it's nice to have them back,they were afforded legal protection under law as a native species I believe last year . It's kinda nice to write about man putting something back with wildlife rather than what we all might loose Are they a shy subject normally ?

thanks for sharing

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel like the tightness of the portrait . At this size you have done very well with that SS to get the sharpness you needed.
    Lovely color and tones in the subject .I just wish for more detail in the ice/snow , might be difficult to achieve as the HL are clipped in all 3 channels .
    Hope to see more ...
    TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel -- Always a pleasure to see your images and this one is no exception either . I loved the framing and the details and sharpness inspite of the slow ss . At first glance i though that it is a fish lying in the BG .

Loved those tiny hands .

TFS !

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Daniel,

What a handsome chap!

Love the framing and the way the subject stands out against the immaculate BG.

Wonderful rich colours, beautiful detail and sharpness.

I like this a lot - superb work, have you more from this sighting?

Wishing you a wonderful week-end,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great to see a different species and environment posted here Dan.

You did well with the limited techs, any 'wider' shots where the subject is smaller in frame?

TFS
    Steve