Thread: High-key Banking Common Goldeneye.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default High-key Banking Common Goldeneye.

Attached Images Attached Images

I had a couple of fun outings with Common Goldeneyes a couple of weeks ago. This was from the first, rather unexpected of those sessions. This female came racing in from around and island and as I was tracking her head0on she suddenly banked hard and back around the other side of the island. This was horizontally photographed in-camera, with both wing tips just barely fitting in. Adding canvas top and bottom and cropping in both sides to transform it into a vertical was easy as snap with the high-key background

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1250s., f/5.6, ISO 1600, cropped as described above, a rather heavy blue cast removed.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Once again I am so envious. I saw about 500 of these today but they were about half a mile off shore!!! Great banking pose, great details and works really well against that background. Very nice indeed.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beauty of a banking pose. Good exposure, and the high-key works nicely.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Dan,

Killer pose, gorgeous high key, and sharp. The belly and the underwings look a tad overdone (jangly...) to me. Did you apply any NIK Detail Extractor?

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the banking pose, composition and high key. Excellent image Daniel!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey guys, thanks!

Artie, I may have done one pass too many of a low opacity burn tool to bring details back on the belly (the file was processed a few weeks back and forgot to mention that in the details). The wings are pretty much as in the raw file, save for usual contrast/saturation tweaks.