Thread: Red Fox

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red Fox

Attached Images Attached Images

This was taken in May down the street from my house. My first post over here in wildlife. The fox has a den at the local cemetery almost every year. All C&Cs are welcome and appreciated.

Canon 1D MK IV
    500L f4
    ISO 1250
    1/640s
    f7.1
    Tripod

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Jim ... welcome to the hairy side of BPN
    You started with a nice tight portrait of this Fox and you got lucky to get him that close .
    I like the crop , the look to the camera and these eyes are taking my attention which is wonderful . Overall color and tones are looking good , just miss some finer detail in the fur . Is this a crop ? If yes how much of a crop ?
    I would watch the blacks as they do look a bit solid in the nose and eye lids , just my take .
    TFS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR
    Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Andreas. Yes this is about 60% of the original frame. I have some other images that are close to full frame but no close head shots. Have a Happy New Year!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jim, welcome to the wildlife forum. what not to like? you have an engaging subject close and a pleasant background. Personally, I feel the crop is too tight. a little bit more room on top would be for me. No sure where you focused, but I suspect the nose. These guys have long snout, so the nose appears to me in sharper focus than the fur on the forehead between the eye. Loi

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jim, like the framing, but perhaps a little more space all round would not hurt.

Here the FP needed to be between those eyes, it looks lower, likewise I might have gone to f/9 so eyes to nose are sharp and pushed the ISO for more SS, as the image appears to lack that crucial 'perceptual' sharpness which is a real shame. I know the MKIV has it's limitations in ISO, but I would really explore more ISO, greater SS and if the exposure is right, then there is minimal noise to deal with in PP.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jim -- Great to see you posting here on wildlife forum and what a lovely portrait ! The flaws have been addressed above so I would not go too much into that but i would like to see you posting more often here on wildlife forum to see and learn more from your lovely collection of images .

TFS !

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jim - Great to see you posting over here in Wildlife and I hope we will see more from you. The guys have covered the critique well and I agree with them, especially about a bit more room around and the crop affecting IQ and the finer detail.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bit more room all round but that apart I do like what you have got especially the eyes,very well done getting so close to this one.Very nice work.

All the very best to you Jim for 2017.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.