Thread: Kestrel UK: Falco tinnunculus

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 Kestrel UK: Falco tinnunculus

Attached Images Attached Images

We have a little spot close to home where the Kestrels are quite tolerant,we have been having a ball with them these last days. Although fairly common if not our most common falcon I've always found them a tricky subject. They are oft seen hunting the sides of roads here with that characteristic hoover pictured here. I'm a bit soft of them finding then enchanting to watch which I can do for hours given chance.

Shot is taken around an hour and a half before sunset processed in DPP4 and is not cropped
    Canon 1div 300F/2.8 ext1.4iii
    1/5000
    f5.6
    iso 1600

Thanks for all the previous help and thoughts on my other posts

have the best new year

Stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stu: enchanting photo of the hover right before the stoop-and-swoop; great looking wing-spread. Not sure if you can/should (would defer to other's thoughts) but could you do some lightening under the wings and tail in post-production? Not sure if it needs to be done like I said .....

Great action photo, a keeper for sure.

Happy New Years to ya mate! :)

Andrew

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

[QUOTE=Andrew Harrell;1144835]Stu: enchanting photo of the hover right before the stoop-and-swoop; great looking wing-spread. Not sure if you can/should (would defer to other's thoughts) but could you do some lightening under the wings and tail in post-production? Not sure if it needs to be done like I said .....

Great action photo, a keeper for sure.

Happy New Years to ya mate! :)

Yup and to you too buddy. Andrew I have lifted the shadows,I take your point on lifting further it's a tough call mate.I feel it's there or there abouts and probably as usual there is more to be had in PS,but i'm resonably happy with the above. All the images from this time of day were very "contrasty" Andrew,but one takes ones chance when given. She or plausibly they(might be a youngster in my images as well) are being fantastic at the moment Andrew we have so much to work through we'll doubtless get more chances. Now it's really going to be down to getting some more chances in great light and upping the game with behaviours to improve on what is already taken and banked. I'm really positive that if I can get my bit right there might be some magic to come ,we'll see take care buddy

Stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stuart, Nice behavioral shot of this little speed demon I don't mind the shadows.
    Nice tail spread and intense look of this little falcon.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Tim,the shadows are actually about as good as it got,sadly most frames have heavy shadows on wings or tail, but yes i'm fairly happy,certainly more will follow hopefully chances too..
    HNY

Stu