Thread: Keep or Throw Away?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Keep or Throw Away?

Attached Images Attached Images

Good Morning Everyone,

Here are two shots I took at Conowingo Dam. The Adult Bald Eagle had caught a fish and a Juvenile started a chase to steal the fish. Neither photo has been cropped, but both were edited in DPP 4 using the tips from the DPP 4 Guidebook by Arash and Art.

Of the three days I shot at Conowingo, this was the only chase scene I was able to capture. Other ones did occur, but were either too far away, blocked by a tree or totally out of focus.

I like the this picture because of the proximity of the birds in chase. Unfortunately, you miss the story because you cannot see the fish in the talons of the adult. I also don't like the birds body cut out of the picture.

I like the second one because adult doesn't have any parts cut off and you can see the fish in its talons. I don't like it because the juvenile's wing tip is cut off and because the adult is out of focus.

What are your thoughts? Keep? Throw away?

Thanks for all comments
    Marlo Casabar
    Canon 7D Mk II with 600mm f/4L IS II USM and 1.4x III

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Here is the second shot.

I like the second one because adult doesn't have any parts cut off and you can see the fish in its talons. I don't like it because the juvenile's wing tip is cut off and because the adult is out of focus.

What are your thoughts? Keep? Throw away?

Thanks for all comments
    Marlo Casabar
    Canon 7D Mk II with 600mm f/4L IS II USM and 1.4x III

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Long term, I would probably throw both. If the second one had the adult in focus that would possibly nail it but, speaking as a neutral, there are too many shortcomings for both.
    If it was the first chase I had filmed, it is the sort of image I may keep simply because it is a 'first' until I had managed to capture a better shot. Having said that I do have some rather ropey pictures that I will not throw simply because of the occasion or circumstances under which they were taken and those are, as you probably guessed, more about being a 'memory' rather than one of any artistic achievement.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike,

You are exactly correct. That was my first time to capture such a moment and it was exhilarating. I'll probably do as you say. Keep it for the moment in my mind and then head back to Conowingo to get a better shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hitchen View Post
    Long term, I would probably throw both. If the second one had the adult in focus that would possibly nail it but, speaking as a neutral, there are too many shortcomings for both.
    If it was the first chase I had filmed, it is the sort of image I may keep simply because it is a 'first' until I had managed to capture a better shot. Having said that I do have some rather ropey pictures that I will not throw simply because of the occasion or circumstances under which they were taken and those are, as you probably guessed, more about being a 'memory' rather than one of any artistic achievement.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mario, the second I would keep as a documentation shot… and hopefully you will be able to better the shot for a real keeper.
    The focus is on the back bird and not the front and the light isn't the best. It was probably exciting to see but unfortunately not all shots are wall hangers.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Keep for the memory until bettered Mario,that is how I would approach this

Take care

Stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'd delete this one :)
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html