Thread: Klein Namutoni Leopard

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Klein Namutoni Leopard

Attached Images Attached Images

I found this image difficult to take. It was late in the afternoon and whilst sitting at the waterhole I got word of a leopard kill on the loop road. I shot around there to find a large crush of cars and the light fading/gate closing time both a big factor. The bush was thick and it was hard to get a line of sight. The only advantage was that this leopards meal was wedged in the branches and try as it might it could not get it free.

Canon 1DX
    200-400 f4
    ISO 1600
    1/40
    f/5
    Spot Metering
    Beanbag
    Last edited by Basil Dardagan; 12-26-2016 at 08:13 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Basil I know that loop and it's certainly a place of very thick bush. You did well to get a clean shot here.
    Also interesting to see leopard in the Klein Namutoni area as it's strong lion and hyena territory.
    Looks quite sharp for 1/40 - but using a 1Dx you could have gone to 3200 or even 6400 on the ISO for more SS I would think. Hindsight eh?
    Going B&W might focus more sharply on the face of the leopard?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Basil - Sounds like tough conditions so congrats on getting a clear shot with the head raised. Morkel has given you good suggestions for in the field. As posted, I think the midtones are a bit thin and can use a boost.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Basil -- Well done on getting it in the clearing and raised look also . Nice suggestions above especially regarding the techs . I too find it a bit thin in the mid tones . nice image .
    TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Basil, nice encounter, but I fear you knowledge of the 1DX is going to bite you, as the techs are really not good here. This camera changed a lot of peoples PoV who shot Canon gear and gave the confidence in pushing both camera and themselves to greater heights and to be able to nail the image, therefore, I doubt the RAW at 1/40 is really that 'pin' sharp (I could be wrong) but you have to move away from these very low SS and ISO settings.

Overall the colour and depth of tone looks OK, but the small highlights on the leg of the Impala need to be addressed, likewise the blades of grass are distracting, but little you could do.

Basil, the 1DX is a body you have to drive and tell it how to shoot, it works for you and like many of the new high end bodies, is not something you take out of the box and start to shoot, it needs setting up and you have to think what is required when shooting and so tell it, then it delivers perfectly. You don't have to take it from me, others have kept low SS, but recently have pushed themselves and have started to see what I have said for over the last 18 months plus.

Try it, you have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everybody. Morkel and Steve I am so sorry. I don't have a 1DX - I have a 1D series 4. The last one before the DX. I was obviously day dreaming about being able to use a higher ISO and absentmindedly wrote down the incorrect camera body. SORRY

7. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ah, no worries, therefore please disregard my feedback Basil, perhaps in 2017 you may get to upgrade, as there are a lot of 1DX's on the market currently.