Default Sunset, Stanage Edge

A grab shot from an evening out on the Derbyshire Peaks

Name:  Sunset Stanage Edge-103.JPG
Views: 76
Size:  283.9 KB

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike, welcome to Landscapes! I really like the addition of the people in this scene to give us a sense of scale. I deally the image would work better if they were position in the lower left portion of this composition as opposed to dead center. I see two dust spots that you will want to clone out. When posting your images please do remember to include camera, lens and other photo info to allow us to better critique your imagery :)

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for your comments Andrew. Now you mention them, the dust spots are glaring, aren't they ...

I did think about a crop with the couple off centre and have posted a couple I tried - One loses the variety of colours in the sky, the other loses the scale of the crag. All very different moods, I think.

Name:  Sunset Stanage Edge-105.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  164.1 KB

Name:  Sunset Stanage Edge-106.JPG
Views: 51
Size:  178.4 KB

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike, the first crop is much more effective than the second one. For images such as this I will sometimes resort to Nik's Viveza 2 and increase the warmth slider to improve the tones in the sky....alternately you can start over with the processing of this image file and in ACR move the Temperature slider to the right for a warmer, brighter look to the sky...when doing make sure your highlight warning is activated to prevent any unwanted clipping of color channels.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Granted, the first repost is better from the standpoint of composition, but i prefer the original post. To me, there are several leading lines that focus one's attention of the hikers.
    Douglas Bolt
    DougBoltPhotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome Mike!
    Late to this one - but I can say I like the wider original post more than the crops. Bar the dust spot of course. Well done on including the people for scale.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you, Morkel.
    I find that landscapes can sometimes be a very frustrating genre of photography because different crops can give different emotions and in that respect a lot is down to personal taste. The comments have encouraged me to try different crops and I like all 3 for different reasons.