Thread: Hello from Helgoland

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hello from Helgoland

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks just back from Helgoland
    I had a great week in terms of sightings on the island , large numbers of Seals with lots of new born .
    Weather was not on my side , sadly, not a single minute of sunshine .....but nice dark grey skies , fog high in the sky and drizzling rain from time to time .
    The majority of shots were taken with a minimum Iso of 16k .... so the IQ could be better most of the times , but i have to take it as is .

This image was taken at the pebble part of the three beaches on the Dune ( Name of the Seal location on Helgoland ) . The Dune is part of Helgoland , a little sandy island separated from the main island .

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 500 IS L II + 1,4 TC
    Tripod

F 6,3 ; Iso 8000 ; 1/ 1600 sec ; man EXP

Processed with DPP 4.5 and PS CC 2017 ; cropped for comp and very little pebble gardening

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas you do yourself an injustice! This is a super shot the quality is excellent, you pick up the finest details in the fur - sheer delight to look at. My only suggestion would be to trim 1cm off the base. I was going to suggest Dodging the left eye a little but I think it is fine.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon , i was referring to the shots taken at 12.800 and higher that i will post soon over the next days .I left the OOF FG to start with a blurred area . The eye is already dodged ever so slightly
    Cheers Andreas

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas - Definite cute factor with that wave. Nice detail, colors and sharpness. I would crop to more of a pano to remove the lighter band at the top of the frame. Looking forward to seeing more.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Absolutely brilliant imho !!! Such wonderful inviting colours and great IQ. Add the cuteness and beautiful eye contact and you have a winner. Image has a zen type relaxing feel to it

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi ANdreas -- This is a fine image ! Excellent details and lovely muted colours . I liked the pebbles in the FG , really adding to the image . Very nice details in the fur quite similar to the way Steve had managed the same on Rachel's lioness image .

Loved it ! TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, enjoying the MKII?

Cracking image, although I might just 'blown in' some more blue along the top for continuity?

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Rachel, Basil , Hasseeb , Jon and Steve for your kind comments and suggestions , much appreciated .
    Rachel & Steve - i am 50/50 on the lighter strip on top of the frame , i hear what you say regarding continuity , but i actually like it as is . Anyway thanks for pointing this out i was also thinking during PP your way .
    Cheers Andreas

Steve - yes i enjoyed the MK II .... performed well most of the times , specially under the not very nice conditions !!!!