Thread: Newbie from Vermont

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Newbie from Vermont

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello all. I am a relatively new (2yrs) but very avid birder. I love getting outdoors and looking for wildlife. Plenty of opportunity in our neck of the woods for that. I have 120 acres of forest that attracts a lot of birds and other wildlife and spend a lot of time there. I have become hooked on birding and trying to capture images. Started out with a superzoom, but now have a 70D with the 100-400 L lens. I'm constantly looking to improve my photo skills and this looks to be a great resource. Didn't even wait to pay membership, just signed right up.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome Michael.
    I don't know about the wrens in America, but on this side of the pond they are very skittish so to get so close to one is an achievement. This shows great detail though is a little soft - have you had to crop much? The tail looks a bit sharper than the eye which suggests a very wide aperture. But overall a very nice shot.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike, yes it is hard to get close to them over here as well. This is a winter wren. I had the lens wide open at 5.6 to be able to get a fast enough shutter speed (500) at ISO 800. If I go much over ISO 800 in lower light conditions like this I start battling excessive noise, which is one of the things I hope to learn how to cope with on this forum. I was pretty excited to find this little guy, and they are not real common here and it is the first one I've seen this winter. I did also have to crop the image about to 10-20% of the original.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Michael, welcome to BPN!! 120 acres? I'd never leave my land except for grocery shopping. Thank you for the membership support.