Thread: Short eared owl kestrel dispute

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Short eared owl kestrel dispute

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Canon 500m f4 L IS II 2xTC III Manual mode ISO 1600, 1/3200 sec f8
    I have been down on the marshes a few times recently but the problem was the owls stubbornly remained a little too distant. I was initially using the 1.4TC to retain some speed/accuracy of focusing but all the images were simply too small in the frame no matter how enticing some of the poses were. I decided to go for the 2xTC which made focusing pretty tricky when the owls were against the marsh grasses (almost identical colouration).
    Today I saw the kestrel mug the owl who had just caught a vole, the owl was quietly just beginning to eat it and the kestrel came down and stole it. The owl wasn't too keen on this so he took to the air to try to get it back. I got about 6 shots in reasonable focus but again a tad small in the frame but also dead against the light. The vole is in the air, the kestrel lost grip.
    Despite all these problems I was pleased to get something. I appreciate it isn't great but I thought I would share it if nothing else to show that sometimes patience can be rewarded... if somewhat minimally!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful action image.

Regards,
    Satish.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting documentary shot Jonathan and getting the Vole in the air is a bonus.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful behaviour captured and compelling story to go with it Jonathan. Can't help wondering if either bird got the vole in the end?