Thread: Common loon Youngsters

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common loon Youngsters

Attached Images Attached Images

Aahhh, back to a warmer time, early morning in May, Central Minnesota. Canon 7Dll, canon 100-400 ll at 400 mm, f/8.0, 640 iso, 1/500 ss

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the low angle and the details and colours. The chicks look so appealing on the parent's back. I feel the adult's head is in a slightly less than optimal position but nevertheless a fine image.

3. Thanks Michael Thompson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Michael:

Very sweet with the two young chicks on the 'bus'. Chicks look about three-four days old. Do you have the date of this photo? Our Michigan loons don't hatch until early June, just curious about the differences in other areas.

A tiny bit more room on the left perhaps. Nice shooting angle. Looks like there might be scattered dust bunnies on your sensor, noticeable in front of the adult and elsewhere.

Although it isn't the most flattering head position for the adult, it looks like a warning, stay away from my babies!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

5. Thanks Michael Thompson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice capture. A bit tight. Parent's head angle is unusual, but gives the image a humorous aspect. Well captured.

7. Thanks Michael Thompson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Michael:

Very sweet with the two young chicks on the 'bus'. Chicks look about three-four days old. Do you have the date of this photo? Our Michigan loons don't hatch until early June, just curious about the differences in other areas.

A tiny bit more room on the left perhaps. Nice shooting angle. Looks like there might be scattered dust bunnies on your sensor, noticeable in front of the adult and elsewhere.

Although it isn't the most flattering head position for the adult, it looks like a warning, stay away from my babies!

Cheers

Randy
    Thanks! they are all over the map here in MN, some in late may, and some in July, but June is the best for finding loon chicks. I took these 5-21 last year. I got a few of this same pic with the more traditional head angle, but I thought I would try this one for something different. the spots on thew water are just bubbles or seeds on the surface.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You captured a very intimate moment, Like this a lot. Well done

10. Thanks Michael Thompson thanked for this post