Thread: Male Gadwall

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Male Gadwall

Attached Images Attached Images

There has been a flock of Gadwall hanging out at a local marshy pond. Previously I posted one of the females. Here is a male in full sun. I decided to purposely leave this crop a bit loose as I liked the background. Always interested in others thoughts.

Canon 7dii and Canon 500 f4 ii. F5.6, ISO 500. SS 1/1250/ Tripod mounted while lying under a bush on the ground.

Converted in DPP 4. Auto White Balance. Cropped, leveled, sharpened and applied NR to background in PS.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A lovely shot of this handsome drake in beautiful light. The crop looks just right for my taste. It looks as if you evicted a few specular highlights from the duck's bill but not its reflection. I'd be inclined to take them out.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting Bill. I did not remove anything from the bill or anywhere at all. Funny I didn't even notice those lines until I read your comments. Thanks for pointing them out. Really did hardly any processing at all. Had I done that I may have noticed the lines... Now I can't look at the shot without seeing them. Hard to believe I missed them!
    Last edited by Isaac Grant; 11-11-2016 at 01:56 PM.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's a great Gadwall image, Isaac. Excellent low POV, sharpness, and like the diminishing water plants as the Autumn arrives. Very nice tones in grasses on the shoreline reflected in the water.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Man, I'd love to get close to a Gadwall...same problem I have with these as you do with Pintails! I love the blues in the water contrasting with the warm tones elsewhere in the image. Nice low angle too, just how I like it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

These birds are quite shy as well. I was lying down under a bush right at the waters edge. There was tall grass around and under the bush. I opened up a hole in the grasses and put my lens through it. Even they did not come too close except for a few occasions. As they spend most of their time mid way between both shores. Basically I was in a natural blind. I was lucky to get what I got. The only time I have ever been very close to one was during a deep freeze where there was only a tiny bit of open water at a local pond and they were forced to stay close. Most of the water fowl is like that except Mallards and Canada Geese. I am on a mission this winter to get some shots of them. Have my eyes on Hooded Merganser and Wood Duck next, but need to get to the spot where a few are hanging out.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    The only time I have ever been very close to one was during a deep freeze where there was only a tiny bit of open water at a local pond and they were forced to stay close. Most of the water fowl is like that except Mallards and Canada Geese.
    Sounds pretty much like what we experience up here too, I'm always on the lookout for the odd over-wintering duck in these conditions.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Isaac, lovely low angle as with your previous image, and again, I like the overall colours. Nice sharp plumage detail, and I would remove the tiny second catchlight.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the crop and colours. Beautiful detail on the duck and perfect light conditions.

Will