Thread: Juvenile Sandpiper?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Juvenile Sandpiper?

My shorebird-identification skills are pretty lacking -- is this a juvenile Sandpiper?

Name:  sandpiper-1.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  187.2 KB

Sony a77ii, Tamron 150-600, 500mm at f7.1, 1/2000 at ISO 500 (I think, might have been higher)

Small crop, lowered exposure slightly to bring out some whites that were a little hot, some PS edits to remove a grass blade or two. I was going to try and remove the sand from the beak, but decided this was more of a "natural shot" so I left it alone. Right move?

I did the same thing with this photo I did with the jake turkey -- for some reason I had ISO on AUTO. As Tim mentioned, I could have dropped speed a bit and then also dropped ISO. Next time!!

Appreciate any comments and critiques ....

Andrew

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice, AP! My ID sucks, too, but I have a feeling that it is a black bellied plover but I might be completely off. For sure, it's one of those peeps! It's hard to get that catch light on a black eye and this is great. The image is slightly on the blue side for me but it can be fixed easily. I would like more room on the left and a tad at the bottom, however. I saw artificats of NR on the BG but not too bad. There is a dust bunny on the UR corner.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andrew nice Black-bellied Plover, good details and catchlight I would like to see a bit more room at the bottom and in front of the bird though.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful BBPL, Andrew. I like the bird's pose and your low angle. I too can see a less centered version with more room below and for the bird to move into.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agreed on the crop Andrew but it's a seriously lovely image love the leg lift.

take care

Stu