Thread: Doing test prints

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Doing test prints

I have a new A3+ printer and was wondering how I could print out selected parts of the image on an A4 sheet (essentially a contact sheet) to check sharpness, colour rendition etc before committing to printing a full A3 version. Obviously I would like to have the section(s) printed on A4 at the same physical size as they would appear when printed on the A3 sheet.
    Is there an easy way to do this through Lightroom? Or do I need to go through calculations of DPI, printer resolution etc?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike,

You can can create a custom print size in the LR print module. You can make this what ever size you like and select it when you want to print a sample image. I do this when I make large prints on canvas to make sure I have everything the way I want. I generally print the width of the image and about 3" in length. This gives me the opportunity check orientation, color and sharpness.

I am still using the same width media as my final print which doesn't exactly answer your question, but at only 2-3" in length you could reuse the same A3+ paper multiple times. I feel it is important when I print to see a sample portion on the same paper as the final product. Each paper will have different characteristics and the only way to judge what the final image sharpness and color rendition will be is to print samples on the same media.

Chris