Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Jake Turkey

Name:  Turkey-jake.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  174.2 KB

Sony a77ii, Tamron 150-600, 250mm at f7.1, 1/2000 sec, ISO 1000

In LR CC: crop of body, small adjustment to exposure, dropped highlights a smig to try and darken the sun's effect on the shoulder (not 100% successful)
    In PS CC: removed a few grass blades that were coming out of the top of the turkey's head and right against the neck. Left the others alone.
    Sharpened in NIK DFine before export.

It's been a while since I last posted a pic. Both time and camera issues have gotten in the way (camera and lens took a fall --some damage to camera and I'm not sure if lens is now auto-focusing correctly). I've done a few test shots, but still think something is not right with the camera lens -- need more time to figure out if it is related to drop. But I am occasionally able to get some ok shots.

This one I botched as I chopped off the legs in the full-photo, so I tried to salvage it by doing more of a profile. This is a juvenile Turkey, and since I heard it gobble I will assume it is a male and therefore a Jake. Guess this will also be a "natural setting" photo as the long grasses were going to be in the way not matter what.

Appreciate your thoughts ...

Andrew

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andrew

sharpening increases any noise that is in the image - so selective local sharpening is preferable

the bg noise is noticeable so you could selectively reduce that

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andrew, at that focal length you could have shot at a much lower shutter speed and ISO to help with the noise
    or you might want to try a noise reduction plug-in. nice image but would have liked it a bit higher in the frame.

-Tim

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice and close Andrew sometimes hard to get. Yes the noise does take away from what other wise would have been a great capture. I my self after acquiring that first frame look at the histogram and try to tweek the ISO . Sometimes a subject will give you multiple chances . Keep shooting.