Thread: Northern Walkingstick

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Northern Walkingstick

Hi everyone, This is something I have never seen outside of the Montreal insectarium , was amazed to see one just sitting on the side of the patio.
    This was also a challenge for me I almost never shoot vertical, changes the angle of the flash setup I use, took me a while to get the right angle so the flash didn't over expose the insect. Had to push the flash a bit higher then normal was in a dark area. 1st shot is a handheld stack of 6 shots, the rest are one shot.
    I was more amazed when I cropped in to see all the detail on the body, really did look like a stick. I decided to post 3 shots since just the full view didn't show the detail of the body and one of the head, hope that's ok with the mods.

Name:  D7K_8915-Edit-Edit-2.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  355.7 KB

Name:  D7K_8915-Edit-Edit-3-2.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  359.8 KB

Name:  D7K_8972-2.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  275.7 KB

Nikon D7000,
    Tamron 90mm,
    1/250 @ f / 8,
    With Flash @ f / 8, 1/4 power and softbox deffuser on DIY holder,
    Handheld

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian. Normally, you should only post one image at a time, but I'll let it slide this time. My comments will be confined to your original image. The lighting from the flash looks good, you have good overall sharpness, and I like the diagonal comp. I'm not as fond of the black edge at the bottom of the frame - some repositioning of your subject might have fixed that.
    As an alternative approach to a subject like this, you might consider trying a lightbox "studio." You can read about this approach here: https://www.naturescapes.net/article...dio-for-macro/

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, Thank you for letting the extra shots slide noted for the future posts. Oh ! I do like that set up you posted very interesting I might invest into something like that for subjects that are more co-operative, added it to my bookmarks Thank you ! I agree on the lower black part at the end of the patio as you said next time ill try to move the subject to a "cleaner" area before shooting.
    Again thank you for the info and comments.

Brian

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

These are very tricky insects to photograph the biggest problem is trying to get a suitable perch and background. Steve's suggestion is good, the details with this technique are excellent. The challenge from my point of view is to do something along these lines and have a natural looking setting and with a big insect like this the problems get bigger!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan, I agree I was not thinking out of the box, was amazed to see one and started shooting, I really do like that set up Steve linked and will be making one for sure, it's a great idea.
    Thanks again

Brian