Thread: Bathing Martial Eagle

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bathing Martial Eagle

Attached Images Attached Images

As a lot of SA members here know, getting a shot like this is never easy at the best of times, but somehow, this particular subject loved being photographed. Keeping a health distance with a good comfort zone, perhaps around 40-50m allowed him to come to us. What a joy with the advancements of the MKII and the 2x, providing the flexibility of the various FP's.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Martial Eagle (Polemaetus bellicosus) bathing
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 500 f/4 MKII with 2x MKIII HH
    Exposure: 1/3200s at f/8 ISO1600 EV 0
    Original format: Landscape, very slight crop
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2015.5

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done for getting this close to the action. Exposure and sharpness excellent. I just wish there was a a little more definition in the head but I guess it was moving pretty fast.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Now that's some bird in the bath Steve,great feather detail and sharpness,agree about the head but that's what they do when bathing.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice behaviour you got here from this raptor. I like the habitat and splashing water drops. Not sure what is going on with the shaded part of the face? Did you lighten it?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not sure what is going on with the shaded part of the face? Did you lighten it?
    No, all as is Dan, the light mid morning is harsh and so you get strong shadows/bright whites as you would expect. With the head being in the water prior, perhaps its highlighted the light more from the water???

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve for the explanation. I guess I was expecting that shadow to be as dark as the one on the back. BTW, the expression on the eagle's face is seemingly one of enjoyment!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, you had me thinking now on the above, although away, I just checked the files and it is - 'all as is'. The eye is closed, beak partially open, shadow is on the underside from the beak, but you then have some small part of the plumage in very dark shadow. Highlights around the eye and socket with tone, but lacking a bit of clarity/form.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ah I think what happened is an oof FG element (grass) crossing in front there. There are a couple between the head and the edge of the frame so that could just be another one of those. The sharp line separating the pale and darker areas would indicate that.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Now thats a bird taking a bath!!! Very cool behavior shot. I saw one of these magnificent birds while in South Africa many years ago. We were pulled over on the highway trying to figure out where to go and one landed about 10 feet from my car in a small bush right next to the car. Amazing view of such an impressive bird. Only wish you had a bit more saturation/contrast in this shot. The harsh morning light seems to have washed the image out a bit to me. Seems like the image could use a little clock wise rotation as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks.

Hi Dan, very much appreciate the input and you could well be correct, cheers. I will in due course post others from the encounter that are a bit more 'pedestrian' in it's nature/behaviour, but illustrates the subject better.

Hi Isaac, I try to keep colour close to my recollection and avoid at the best of times adding Saturation, plus from memory (LOL) because of the light, colours were not that saturated. Would have been very cool if this was more around 4.00pm where the light starts to transcend into the 'golden' hour.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, Martial Eagles are majestic birds, and my favourite of all Eagles. I do like your angle here, especially shooting from a vehicle, and you have done well with the light - it doesnt look too harsh. Im fine with the shadow on the body, as that's from the raised wing. Cool action with the flying droplets from the bathing behaviouur. Well captured.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Stu, interesting though, stuff I used to hate as an option with the MKIV & 1DX MKI simply because I just felt it never worked well, now with the MKII Canon seem to have refined things and I'm trying to get some stuff in the bag for comparison, but if I'm right, then I wished I had enabled a few more features.

you have done well with the light - it doesnt look too harsh. Im fine with the shadow on the body, as that's from the raised wing.
    Thanks, although I'm glad Dan did raise the question, an easy error to overlook in PP, but good to know it was 'as shot' so to speak.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cool Steve. I like bathing shots because I have always liked watching my own Falcons and Hawks bathing. They get so into it once they start getting to this point. Fun to watch and photograph them and I like the pose you caught her in. Nice details and exposure in spite of the bright sunshine. Well done and TFS
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com