Thread: Perfect Camo !!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Perfect Camo !!

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone !

Here is another one for this months theme . Image taken at Bandhavgarh . It was a hot afternoon and the cubs were lying in the elephant grass waiting patiently for their mother to arrive with a kill . But suddenly spotted Deers started to gather for a drink from a near by water source and one of the cubs decided to practice the teachings of its mother or was trying to mimic her . It was amazing to see how the Deer were moving nonchalantly without a slightest of hint that a tiger was lurking behind them . The cub almost gave us a feeling that it will pounce but it turned out to be anticlimax.

DPP4 CS6 Levels, selective colour, contrast and brightness, colour balance , selective sharpening .

ss: 1/5000 , f/5.6, iso 500

Canon 5dMK III , canon 500mm f4 IS II with 1.4x T.C. Bean Bag.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Haseeb, indeed Tigers are very lazy and more the opportunist, however always good to see a stalking Tiger, albeit partial.

My first impression is that it appears very dark, considering it was shot in the heat of the afternoon, so thanks for allowing me to see the RAW and yes, I feel it's at least a stop under exposed. In addition, I do push having a good SS, but I think 1/5000 is a bit too high, perhaps the settings was from a previous encounter, or you were expecting some action? Saying that, sadly the subject isn't sharp, albeit small in frame.

Crop/Framing I feel there are many options for this capture.

Again, using the MB pro, so not ideal, but hope it may help in direction to a degree.

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb i like the idea behind the shot .Very difficult to make it look pleasing , but i think you did quite well .
    I like the shadow areas breaking up the monochromatic look in the grass . Not 100 % sure about the placement of the tiger , but that is a personal view .
    What surprises me a bit is the " darkness" of the frame as posted .
    Looking at the techs i would assume the scene must have been a lot brighter , if so i would process it closer to that .
    Nice one
    TFS Andreas

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Steve and Andreas !

Yes , it was -2/3 under exposed , hence appears a bit dark . Steve's RP gives it a more afternoon look and feel , which was actually there when i took the shot . Softness is due to a OOF glad of grass intersecting its face . I thought keeping the tiger quite small in the frame might overcome that sharpness issue . as far as under exposure is concerned, I guess mis read the settings and thought getting a bit under might help in the tiger popping a bit more . Also one more thing i did wrong at that point of time was checking the LCD instead of the histogram for correct exposure .
    Thanks for the suggestions . Hope to build on that .

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Haseeb, if you have learnt from the capture and realised before posting some of the issues, then the shot isn't lost, it's a winner because you can implement your knowledge in the future!

8. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Haseeb why do you underexpose while shooting to give the subject more pop ? I think one can do this easier in post .
    I would understand if you say you go under to avoid HL clipping .
    Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes , Andreas ! One can easily do that during PP and of course HL clipping is one of the things which can lead to under exposure , but doing right in camera on the field is what i always try to achieve and i am very sure most of you guys also opt for the same, but I guess more often then not you people have learnt from your mistakes and have built on that , which obviously is evident in your results . I am also trying to get to that level and feel glad just to be a part of this forum .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes Haseeb getting it right in camera all the time would be great ....... but as for me i hardly get it right in camera , unless conditions are perfect and me is perfect at the time of shooting

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb - The image prompted a good discussion as well as a learning experience for you. Agree about the darkness of the op. I also like the idea of the image though. Keep them coming.

TFS,
    Rachel

14. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good builds and discussion here. I don't mind the smallness in the frame, but do wish there was more clarity and sharpness to the tiger.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

16. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Rachel and Morkel !