Thread: Resting Sanderling

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Resting Sanderling

Attached Images Attached Images

This Sanderling settled very close to me, decided I was no threat at all and went to sleep. I had positioned myself at the highest point of the beach near where the waves were crashing as I knew the birds would gravitate to that spot as well. As the tide shifted I repositioned myself to get the ocean as my background. From Breezy Point, in Queens, New York. This shot is full frame. I like a nice close up sometimes, perhaps more than others. I have a version where I cropped it in about 20% that I like as well but decided to post the full frame as I like the sense of space in the shot. From late evening on 9/25.

Canon 7dii and Canon 500 f4ii + 1.4xiii. ISO 400, F8, SS 1/2000

Converted in DPP 4. Auto White Balance. In PS I leveled, sharpened, adjusted highlights and shadows, contrast and saturation. Eye work. Applied NR to background.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome shot. Beautiful light, composition, detail, focus and background. I am not always a fan of tight close ups but this one rocks.
    Last edited by John Whaley; 09-29-2016 at 08:45 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image Isaac! I like the low angle, DOF, IQ, exposure, composition and BG.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Isaac, great image with superb exposures in whites, nice pose with great low shooting angle.

Regards,
    Satish.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely soft natural feather detail and a great relaxed pose,a very fine piece of work.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image! nice and sharp, nice open eye, and one foot pose. perfect exposure. did you add the blur to the foreground?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Isaac, love the eye level perspective, and nothing beats early or late light on an image. Overall, well exposed, sharp, and the feather detail shows up nicely. Gotta love those blues in the upper BG, and just enough beach running along the bottom of your frame. Well captured.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

No added blur Michael. Natural out of focus blur from the lens. I was close to the bird and the bird is in focus so the area close to the bird and behind the bird are out of focus. Always what I go for on a shot like this.