Thread: Roosting Sanderling

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Roosting Sanderling

Attached Images Attached Images

I have been trying for a while to get some roosting shots of Sanderling. As Bill recently posted these guys never stop moving. I was lucky that I had a flock of them settle down right next to me on the beach. I got to watch them preen, sleep and just stand there and pay me no mind. This is really what nature photography is about. To get the birds to accept you and to have them be so comfortable near you that they just go to sleep. I had perfect late evening light and I positioned myself so that I could get this background. From Breezy Point in Queens, NY. I picked this photo to post because of the somewhat unique position it was in with the tail down and wings out. Although I have just about every type of pose from these birds including them sleeping and also extreme closeups as well.

Canon 7dii and Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4xiii. ISO 500, F9, SS 1/1600, -1/3. Tripod mounted while I was lying in wet sand. Legs fully extended out.

Converted in DPP4. Auto White balance. In PS I leveled, added a bit of canvas, sharpened and applied noise reduction to background.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image. Beautiful color scheme. very nice pose.

Regards,
    Satish.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot. Super detail and focus here. They are fun to watch and capture.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Perfect pose with a perfect head angle and perfect low angle. Perhaps a bit big in the frame for my own personal taste, but this is super appealing. I had a Sanderling do the same to me a couple of years ago...I was able to crawl to full-frame head and shoulder images of it. Fun!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Daniel. I got some super close up shots as well. Would be perfect for this months theme. Even though I am not eligible for this month I will post it anyway.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice close-up shot, with good head turn and interesting feather positions as you point out. Nicely done. I agree it's a bit tight in the frame for me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree perhaps a bit big in the frame but it does show all the lovely feather detail that you have captured,I like the one legged relaxed pose and the bg sets it off nicely,very nice work.

Keith.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image, Isaac. The complimenting color palette of the image works well. Good head angle, feather detail, and exposure. I too think for my tastes the image is tight in the frame, also I wish the foot showed more. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com