Thread: Don't Disturb Her Breakfast!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Don't Disturb Her Breakfast!

Attached Images Attached Images

Martin Park is an Oklahoma City park that the city operates primarily as a wildlife refuge in the city. It is surrounded by freeways, medical facilities, shopping areas and other development. Yet it attracts a good deal of wildlife and is kind of an oasis in the city. It's a favorite place for me to take a morning walk. This morning I shared my walk with this Whitetail doe. She was a bit concerned by me but mostly didn't want her breakfast disturbed. She let me get within about 15-20 feet of her and watched me carefully but never stooped grazing.

Canon 7DII, Tamron 70-300 VC @ 141mm. 1/640 @ f8. ISO 1250.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Richard,

A very gentle looking Doe and I am enchanted by her cute (and rather floppy) ears, big eyes and wet nose... Glad she did not shy away from you, I take it you got rather close?

In terms of techs I feel 1/640s is rather low. You needed at least 1/1000s here IMO. I personally would have upped the ISO. Or just gone for a lesser F-stop at this ISO value, which would have given you more separation between subject and BG.

The above are rather busy frames overall, I would consider reducing the saturation on the yellows and greens in the BG in order to make the subject pop a little. The blacks are a tad choked, especially on the nose (did you use the contrast tool at all?)

Images (and especially sequences) can be powerful and evocative tools when it comes to storytelling, so it is of utmost importance that we take care how we place them one next to another. One may allow for gaps to be filled in by the viewer, as long as he (or she) connects those frames in such a way that a visual narrative is created. Viewing your sequence I found myself seeking for more substance - in other words, I have been looking for the "plot". The lack of an emotional angle makes this a rather flat description of facts, IMO. In the future try think "visual imagery", and "story telling", try use your images as words. I often add text to my stories to give more background, but always ask myself a question before I post: " ...are words really needed here, would this stand on its own?"

Thank you so much for sharing! I might seem blunt at times with my comments, but I just want to say I really appreciate your contribution to this Forum. I too am busy learning and always open to suggestions and critique in any form:)

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

There's not a great story here -just that she let me get within about 15 feet or so of her and didn't stop eating while she watched me. As to the SS, I have found 1/640 to be a pretty good speed with that lens unless the subject is running or flying. The lens has very good stabilization. On the other hand, f8 is the sweet spot and 5.6 is not so good.

Criticism is not a problem. I value it and learn from it. I am an orchestral musician. I went through years of criticism of the most exacting kind.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Smith View Post
    There's not a great story here -just that she let me get within about 15 feet or so of her and didn't stop eating while she watched me. As to the SS, I have found 1/640 to be a pretty good speed with that lens unless the subject is running or flying. The lens has very good stabilization. On the other hand, f8 is the sweet spot and 5.6 is not so good.

Criticism is not a problem. I value it and learn from it. I am an orchestral musician. I went through years of criticism of the most exacting kind.
    Thank you Richard,

When you say " I went through years of criticism of the most exactly kind", do you mean it was constructive and you learnt from it?

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not sure it's all positive but certainly constructive and yes you learn from it. Both private lessons and rehearsals are a good deal of precise, demanding criticism combined - at least at times - with some affirmation. And that doesn't even consider the rejection of failed auditions. But you learn more from failure than success if you learn to view failure as a chance to learn and improve.

6. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post