Thread: Feeling - lucky?

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Feeling - lucky?

Attached Images Attached Images

This is the same cub I had posted in 'Peaceful cubs'.

Shot about 30 mins after a warthog kill, this feisty lion cub stood his ground with his older brothers & sisters. Taking the kill deep into the bush to protect it from prying eyes proved fun in trying to get angles that were clear of bushes, but not too much in shade. However the shade I think provided a bit more 'atmosphere'?

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Lion cubs (Panthera leo) lying down, in shade, after feasting.
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKI
    Lens: 500 f/4 with 1.4x HH
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/5.6 ISO2000 EV -0.33
    Original format: Portrait, crop for presentation from the top, FF width
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2015.5

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good evening Steve,

You could not have framed this better, the light falls in just the right places, emphasising the aggression from this young lion protecting his pound of flesh. Lots of expression there:)

Superb techs, nice SS, a little underexposure helped avoid those potentially bright bits.

Colours spot-on and I like the blood on the face, this is a warrior in the making.

A wild thing, that is what he is - I am loving it!!!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

a little underexposure helped avoid those potentially bright bits.
    It can be a balancing act at times Gabriela, as you know only too well, avoiding clipping the Darks/Shadows to stop blowing the Highlights, but also thinking ahead and addressing some images later within the PP process.

Sadly, Mr Warthog did not make his daily journey to the office that morning, but instead went to a good home, however it did take over 10 minutes to dispatch him, as the Females were keen to avoid those tusks.

The light just fell spot on the eye, a rarity at times, but I think works well and hopefully adds interest to the scene.

Thanks for swinging by.

4. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- As Gabriela said, you couldn't have nailed it better . Loved this one , especially the light facing in all the right places and that intent look in its eye . The foliage is adding to the scene along with the light , giving it a mysterious feel , Superb details and colours . enjoyed viewing this .

TFS !

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - I really like the way the light is hitting the eye and yes, exp looks great. I would prefer a little less width to the green along the left edge, but that comes down to personal taste. You handled a tough opportunity well.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would prefer a little less width to the green along the left edge, but that comes down to personal taste.
    Then the key element would be too close to the trim Rachel, I'm framing the main subject with the surroundings.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... stunning expression in the youngsters face .
    Well timed frame and good choice of crop , lovely light in the eye .
    Technically well made as always .
    Overall i think the image could go for more drama and / or more power to the illuminated face .
    I can see a version with all darkened by a fair bit .... but keep the face as is . Well just an idea ... not a must
    As presented it does look " too balanced " to me ... but for sure very realistic .
    Good work as always ... Maestro

TFS Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    It can be a balancing act at times Gabriela, as you know only too well, avoiding clipping the Darks/Shadows to stop blowing the Highlights, but also thinking ahead and addressing some images later within the PP process.

Sadly, Mr Warthog did not make his daily journey to the office that morning, but instead went to a good home, however it did take over 10 minutes to dispatch him, as the Females were keen to avoid those tusks.

The light just fell spot on the eye, a rarity at times, but I think works well and hopefully adds interest to the scene.

Thanks for swinging by.
    Steve, I so enjoyed reading that bit about the warthog's journey - you are an awesome story teller with a great sense of humour:)

Wishing you a great evening,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really nicely done Steve!
    I do like the amount of framing vegetation on the left, but in an ideal world I'd have liked a tad more space on the RHS - obviously not possible as you would have included it if it was available and uncluttered.
    The light on the eye makes it, I just wonder if it doesn't deserve a darker more contrasty treatment overall?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, I really like this shot, the eye is super sharp, the fur detail is also dead on, the shadows just adds that extra feel to the shot, Really great job on the capture, Ty for sharing.