Thread: Least Sandpiper High-key Reflection

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Least Sandpiper High-key Reflection

Attached Images Attached Images

I was on my stomach in shallow water when this little fella came closer to the water's edge - the reflection is not as crisp as if I had been higher (but that would also have cut the leg shorter on the reflection), but I still like the result.

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1000s., f/4, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, eye work, lightened the coloured vegetation behind the subject.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesom image. It definitely has an artistic quality to it which for me does not always work but it does here. The Sandpiper has a great pose and head angle. I wish you would make a video of your pp.
    Last edited by John Whaley; 09-22-2016 at 08:40 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great minds think alike! I am usually not a fan of high key shots but you have posted a few of them that change my mind. This looks great. Really makes the bright colors of a fresh juvenile stand out. Sharpness, head turn and reflection are all great. Only thing I am not 100% on is the out of focus orangish yellow part just below the bird that is almost touching the chest. Distracts a bit from the bird to me. If mine I would probably clone that part out.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super appealing image Daniel, the high key gives it a serene and arty feel to it! (The fact that the feet are not completely visible and the reflection is blurry does not bother me). Great work!

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image!!! Thanks for sharing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the watercolor painting behind the bird. And love the overall watercolor look. That said I do not think that I would mind the mid-tones on the peep a bit darker...

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A lovely image with your signature POV. I also mused about the mid-tones, and then decided that (IMO) darkening them would detract from the artistic quality that others have noted.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image. Very nice colors in the frame. Beautiful reflection and superb composition.

Regards,
    Satish.