Thread: Assassin Bug

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Assassin Bug

Hi everyone, Shot this yesterday, saw a bee laying on it's side got in closer and saw it was being fed on by this Assassin bug Acholla (correct me if i'm mistaken).
    Was an overcast day so I went and got my macro lens and flash. Took quiet a few shots 250 to be exact, different angles, f stop, lighting, ect. Thought I would post this one first.
    This is a stack of 8 shots using the flash, handheld. Was kinda windy to say the least but this is what I got in the end run. I must say that some of the f/16 single shots are as good as the stack but wanted your opinions before I posted some of the other shots.
    Thank you for looking

Nikon D7000
    Tamron 90mm
    Iso 100
    f/16
    1/200s
    Flash Nikon sb-24 @ 85mm, F/16
    Fotodiox 8x6 softbox/diffuser

Name:  Assassin Bug-Acholla.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  382.6 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice find, Brian, and it sounds like you had fun working it! This looks good for a hand-held stack in the wind and the flash is well diffused. You might consider selectively brightening some of the dark areas around the bee's head and neck a little to see if you like that better. Overall, this is very nicely done!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, Thank you for the comment, I did have a lot of fun, with the wind it made it more challenging, and I do see what you are talking about, it is a little bit dark around his head. I might never have noticed it being a bit color blind, ill give it a go and see what it looks likes. Again ty for the info and nice comments.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian,
    Terrific behavioral shot showing predator and prey. I like the composition and the "action" is well set off by the pink flower. The abdomen of the bug seems just a wee bit sharper than the head to me even though good details are still captured - wonder what the single shot would look like. A very well done image.
    Allen

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot my only suggestion is that the legs of the assassin are an important element in the image and they are not so well focused as other parts, but I have no doubt this was not easy, good to see you were trying different settings, perhaps try a few from a little further back next time.