Thread: This is what they did to My Rhino

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default This is what they did to My Rhino

Attached Images Attached Images

Dearest BPN Friends,

I am back and posting, but with a heavy heart: my beloved Rhinos are being killed by poachers, one by one.

I know it is painful to look, but could you please make an effort?

And no story tonight...I think those images speak for themselves.

Thank you for viewing, I appreciate it.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I find the first image to be incredibly powerful, a complete story in a single frame. It is a bummer that greed and corruption are taking such a toll...

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    I find the first image to be incredibly powerful, a complete story in a single frame. It is a bummer that greed and corruption are taking such a toll...

a
    Dearest Sir Arthur,

Thank you from the heart for viewing and kind comments - your support means a lot to me

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

4. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superbly captured and way-too-moving story presented here Gabriela.

They show the complete horror of this trade all too well, such pointless destruction of these wonderful beasts.

Thanks for sharing, it would be nice if you could get a bigger platform for these powerful images.

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Mike,

I see and photograph similar scenes every week, sometimes a few times a week.

A number of motherless baby rhino in a nursery nearby, I am allowed to go take some images but I still have to get the courage to visit.

This is no longer about capturing images, all I want is to raise awareness. We need new policies in place to protect the species. It is true, corruption and greed is everywhere in SA - but there are some awesome people out there doing their best to help, and I love to support them.

Thinking of ways to reach those platforms you mentioned - let me know if you have any ideas, much appreciated.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

7. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

QG,

Is there any meaningful way for folks to contribute towards rhino protection?

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

QG,

a
    Yes, support the Australian rhino project! (http://www.theaustralianrhinoproject.org)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gerhard. I am sorry but I am very pressed for time so I ask: are they working to protecting the rhinos in South Africa or all of Africa?

many thanks, a

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

QG,

a
    Dearest S-K-a,

I am not looking for donations in terms of money, they are organisations who do that. Not always sure where the money goes. What we need most right now is a high quality metal detector. I thought a portable x-ray machine would be the answer, but I just had a chat tonight with our wildlife vet who is attending to those crime scenes, he said it is too expensive and it might not work as well as the metal detector for the purpose it is needed. Why a metal detector? To establish the exact location of the projectile/bullet used by the poacher to kill the animal in order to remove the horn. The bullet is evidence, it leads to the weapon and consequently to the offender who must be prosecuted. Not easy to find and remove a bullet if it happens to be in the skull - and this is where the metal detector comes in.

Those criminals must be removed from society. By the way it was Rhino Day today, and I have just learnt that we lost another six animals in my beloved Park. I have lost count really, I think over a hundred of them were killed this year.

Gerhard, I truly appreciate the Australian rhino project, but we cannot move all our endangered animals to Australia. Or Botswana. I am worried about my rhino. Those rhino I am talking about are close to my village and even closer to my heart. I want them here, and I want them safe. The quicker we identify the criminals, the more animals we will save. If someone is able to help with a high quality metal detector I will put this person in touch with the wildlife vet, just send me a PM please.

Here's another image I took not long ago and it is more gory than any kill I have seen. Man is truly the worst predator on the planet - don't you think so?
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gerhard. I am sorry but I am very pressed for time so I ask: are they working to protecting the rhinos in South Africa or all of Africa?

many thanks, a
    Hi Arthur,

Africa or even South Africa is too big and complex for one organization to protect all rhinos, it will take collective efforts of local people and a truckload of money to do that. From personal experience I know that is easier said than done and as Gabriella mentioned one does not always know where the money goes.The idea behind the Oz project is to establish a breeding herd of rhino in a safe place to safeguard against worst case scenario i.e. extinction. The first group of rhinos were sourced from South Africa, obviously one need to consider genetic diversity for breeding purposes so ideally rhino from other African countries should be included.

Regards,

Gerhard

13. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear S-K-a,

We lost another two rhino last night. A real crisis, and I am told we are expecting more casualties tonight. Too many poachers, not enough laws to protect our rhino, red tape, egos, money wasted by the very same people who have the power to change everything. This morning I received some information about an organisation that might be able to provide funds for that metal detector - I am working on it. The criminals must be punished, removed from society.

I feel helpless. I do so little. I want to do more. Raising awareness only goes so far.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - I somehow missed this earlier this week. Very poignant images that really tell of the horrors befalling the rhinos. I agree that the answer needs to be to stop and prosecute the poachers so that these majestic animals can continue to be seen in their natural habitats.

And you are being modest. I know that you spend countless hours donating your time and providing photographic services to aid in the efforts.

TFS (and good to see you posting),
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much dearest Rachel,

I am sorry for being so quiet lately, on all fronts - I have more commitments than ever these days and not enough time to process images. But things will change, soon. I did have a few opportunities to capture some images lately but the photographs are more suitable for Story Sequences Forum, because of content.

And I felt bad for neglecting this Forum for some time - so here I am, browsing through my recent folders and looking for a story to share.

Thank you so much Rachel, for taking the time to view and the kindest words. I plan to visit Wildlife and see those images from your recent trip:)

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- I just wish the best for this specie ! Your images are very powerful and literally moved me . Cannot express my grief and sadly cant contribute for their betterment but can only share their plight with fellow wildlife colleagues and NGO's here in the hope that someone can make a difference . Sometimes the prayers too work .

Great to see you posting and TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Haseeb,

It was my intention to move you and indeed I am so grateful for your concern.

Not sure the prayers work, but spreading the word about the plight of all endangered wildlife certainly creates awareness.

We need to educate future generations and help them appreciate and respect the environment.

Thank you so much for your comments, much appreciated.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A poignant story sequence here Gabriela, have only just seen this now as I've been away in Italy.

The shot from above sends a powerful message.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post

Gerhard, I truly appreciate the Australian rhino project, but we cannot move all our endangered animals to Australia. Or Botswana. I am worried about my rhino. Those rhino I am talking about are close to my village and even closer to my heart. I want them here, and I want them safe.
    I totally understand where you are coming from Gabriela, but the problem is, this species is just NOT safe in RSA, (in light of the current drastic situation) and if it takes moving them to a safer location & country to save them, then I'm totally all for it, granted the relocation costs are huge. The per Rhino relocation costs to Bots are said to be well over US$100K.

I've heard it said many times that the people behind this descruction want to take out ALL and leave no rhino left, hence lifting the rhino horn price to even more astronomocal levels.

All of us here who love Africa and its wildlife are getting sick to the stomach of hearing about the falling numbers whilst those in real power seem to just sit on their hands!

20. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sad but true, Marc - their numbers are dwindling. There is little I can add to what you just said.

All I can say is, I am not giving up. I will do whatever I can to help, even if I have to spend my nights patrolling the Park. Or raise awareness. Whatever it takes.

Thank you for caring, Marc.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela I am completely lost for words after viewing these images,Pleased you showed it to me even though it is hard to look at and makes be wonder about mankind sometimes.

My very best regards Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I know - see this every year - s*** just happens to wildlife all over the world

Bloody Chinese - (in this case and many others)

sorry if my posting is not acceptable
    Last edited by Rachel Hollander; 10-26-2016 at 03:41 PM. Reason: not family friendly

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much for caring, Keith and Bill.

Bill, I share your pain and also passion when it comes to wildlife. I am acutely aware that Chinese crime syndicates are partly responsible for the killing of our rhino, but I would be careful when passing generalised statements. Since I have met a number of Chinese people who really care about conservation and really try to make a difference.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much for caring, Keith and Bill.

Bill, I share your pain and also passion when it comes to wildlife. I am acutely aware that Chinese crime syndicates are partly responsible for the killing of our rhino, but I would be careful when passing generalised statements. Since I have met a number of Chinese people who really care about conservation and really try to make a difference.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela, whilst I respect fully what you say

I spent 10 years regularly visiting Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan ........ I have met many people

I could extend my criticism of the Chinese into many similar areas, shark fins, in your own country, Ivory, Tiger and other animal bones and the way they treat animals in their own country, China. I am not against killing animals humanely for human consumption ..... but google Chinese Dog Eating festivals if you are not aware of them.

These "crime syndicates" exist to serve the demand that there is China, and elsewhere in Asia, by millions and millions of ordinary people for such "products" - blame them not the hunters ......... this traditional demand can only be stopped by actions from governments

We can all send our £'s, $'s ZAR's and Euros ..... but is the situation getting any better? ... I think not!!!
    Last edited by Bill Nuttall; 10-25-2016 at 03:41 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Copy that, Bill. But before I blame outsiders I blame my own government who does so little to protect the species. We could do so much more - just look at Botswana, they have a "shoot to kill" policy and not losing any rhino. In South Africa the funds are there, but I am told the money is used by authorities to buy fancy vehicles to drive around with and equipment that hardly gets used. It's all a show and very few people really care. Too much money is spent on meetings and travelling and overtime allowances and all that. It is a shame we have to send our rhino to other countries, in order to save them.

Too painful a subject and I am afraid I am the one who started and encouraged it, so my apologies to the viewers. Back to the images Bill, I am interested whether this sequence actually works for you, kindly let me have your comments and suggestions?

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Copy that, Bill. But before I blame outsiders I blame my own government who does so little to protect the species. We could do so much more - just look at Botswana, they have a "shoot to kill" policy and not losing any rhino. In South Africa the funds are there, but I am told the money is used by authorities to buy fancy vehicles to drive around with and equipment that hardly gets used. It's all a show and very few people really care. Too much money is spent on meetings and travelling and overtime allowances and all that. It is a shame we have to send our rhino to other countries, in order to save them.

Too painful a subject and I am afraid I am the one who started and encouraged it, so my apologies to the viewers. Back to the images Bill, I am interested whether this sequence actually works for you, kindly let me have your comments and suggestions?

Kind regards,
    Thanks Gabriela and I am sorry for expressing my opinion in this way

It is difficult to provide C & C from the usual standpoints on your image

what I first notice is that the horns were "hacked" off with a Machete and not cut off with a chain saw which seem to be becoming more popular.

your images do illustrate the situation well and should be posted as widely as possible - the first two images in particular

every year I see more and more Rhinos (in captivity - i.e. Game Reserves) with their horns cut back - I suppose that is one way to deter along with dyeing the horn ....... but it looks a never ending battle and the Black Rhino will soon be extinct in the wild

Good luck

28. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

poor creature, really saddens me. You should post these all over the internet.

unfortunately I can't imagine how this will stop before they become extinct. The only possible way is to have a large military force like the US marines with shoot to kill standing orders to protect these rhinos.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dearest Arash,

Thank you from the heart for viewing and sharing your thoughts. I too believe the US marines would be more than able to prevent rhino slaughter. But someone must take that decision, make the call, ask for help. Unfortunately the Park authorities are part of the problem here. So is our government. Some individuals are directly involved, others just benefit from the situation. The rest simply do not care.

What I would like to see is those poachers wounded and tied to their victims. The hyenas would take care of them during the night. It is what they deserve. I do realise this might sound harsh to some who are reading this thread. But so is the sight of a baby rhino trying to suckle from its dead mother.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea