Thread: Immature Eagle 5DIV

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Immature Eagle 5DIV

Spent this morning staked out in a hide over a roadkill and was almost setup too close when this immature came in. One of my first real shots with the Mark IV. Much as I loved my MKIII this was certainly a worthwhile upgrade. Converted in DPP, then added a small strip across the top as it was too close and needed a little head room, resized and sharpened in PS.
    Canon 5DIV Canon 600II,ISO800 F5.6@ 3200sec

Name:  A98A1352_BPN.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  391.6 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot. Looks like tight focus and lots of good detail on a always interesting Eagle subject. The young raptors are always a more cooperative. If it were my shot I would bring up the exposure / shadows very slightly on the left side head and brighten the eye.
    Last edited by John Whaley; 09-17-2016 at 09:38 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a regal looking eagle! I love that we can see the talons resting on top of the deer's carcass. Good call on adding canvas. Although likely accurate as is, have you thought about darkening the deer's beiges a bit? Bummer you were too close...it would been neat to see the whole buffet. Still awesome though!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe,
    Sweet image nice and sharp, good HA, exposure looks nice, BG nice, but it looks like it has a slight magenta cast to it, but other than that...

-Tim

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent first frame Joe, looks sharp and has a good pose, exposure is good too. The opportunistic meal adds to the story as well

I don't see a cast, colors are accurate but a bit dull. I would increase the saturation a bit. Also it looks like you forgot to embed the profile which may be why it looks a bit dull

awesome subject and frame folks don't realize how rare it is to see a golden eagle let alone get so close to it
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    Excellent first frame Joe, looks sharp and has a good pose, exposure is good too. The opportunistic meal adds to the story as well

I don't see a cast, colors are accurate but a bit dull. I would increase the saturation a bit. Also it looks like you forgot to embed the profile which may be why it looks a bit dull

awesome subject and frame folks don't realize how rare it is to see a golden eagle let alone get so close to it

Arash, the only way you can see the slight magenta cast is you have a corrected image and switch back and forth between the two then you can really see the cast.
    I just re-calibrated my monitor about 2 weeks ago, I could be wrong but I do see a slight magenta tint.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Foltz View Post
    Arash, the only way you can see the slight magenta cast is you have a corrected image and switch back and forth between the two then you can really see the cast.
    I just re-calibrated my monitor about 2 weeks ago, I could be wrong but I do see a slight magenta tint.
    Hi Tim,

I am not sure if that's the only way or even the best way.

The best way to evaluate a cast is to open the image in photoshop and use the eye dropper tool to read the absolute RGB values in a neutral region, anything else is subjective. The RGB values on this image look correct as shown below (sampled deer's chest which is neutral)

Name:  colors.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  316.5 KB

I don't really see a cast on my NEC 4K pro display that has been calibrated with Xrite tool and I am usually very sensitive to color and sharpness. I am not sure what kind of monitor or calibration tool you are using. If it's an iMac screen unfortunately it is not going to be very accurate even if you calibrate it multiple times. hence, the best way is to check the RGB values in PS

As I mentioned I do feel the image can use some warming and increase in contrast/saturation though

hope this helps
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 09-19-2016 at 01:06 AM.

Visit my blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    Hi Tim,

I am not sure if that's the only way or even the best way.

The best way to evaluate a cast is to open the image in photoshop and use the eye dropper tool to read the absolute RGB values in a neutral region, anything else is subjective. The RGB values on this image look correct as shown below

Name:  colors.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  316.5 KB

As I menioned I don't really see a cast on my NEC 4K pro display that has been calibrated with Xrite tool. I am not sure what kind of monitor or calibration tool you are using. If it's an iMac screen unfortunately it is not going to be that accurate even if you calibrate it, hence the best way is to check the RGB values.

I do feel the image can use some warming and add of contrast/saturation though

hope this helps

Hi Arash, yes you are correct the magenta is subjective. I've been a graphic artist for over 30 years and I'm currently using a MacPro with one of the top rated Dell monitors
    recommended by B&H for photography and it is calibrated with a Spyder4Elite. I trust my eyes over #'s when it comes to color, I've taken the X-Rite Color test which
    is based on the Farnsworh Munsell 100 Hue test and scored perfect every time I've taken it. But color is subject as you said.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

here is my edit

increased contrast and saturating then used levels to adjust a bit

Attachment 164980
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 09-19-2016 at 01:34 AM.

Visit my blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the input everyone! Spent about 10 hours cooking in the hide to get a few shots but enjoyed every minute.