Thread: 12 week old Osprey

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default 12 week old Osprey

This is my first post here and this is a shot from last week. It is of a 12 week old Osprey I have been following this spring and summer. This one is similar to others I have taken with what I would have considered better light but even though it was overcast I liked the result.
    1/2000, f4.5, auto ISO-560, +0.3 step, 500mm, D500, 500 f/4E FL. Name:  12 weeks baa-4696.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  389.5 KB
    Last edited by John Whaley; 09-16-2016 at 12:44 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done. I like the soft light.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I just saw your post after commenting on mine, gorgeous shot very inspiring , i have still a lot to learn !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome John. A great landing pose, with very nice detail and exposure. Overcast light is very often a friend. The only bummer here is the horizon line (if that's what it is) crossing the frame as it does.

5. Thanks John Whaley thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Desjardins View Post
    I just saw your post after commenting on mine, gorgeous shot very inspiring , i have still a lot to learn !
    Thanks but I just missed mine spreading his wings. I did get him from behind with his food in his talons as he left but it's not very appealing seen from the rear. Yours made me really jealous. Opreys are really beautiful and I only get to see them during migratory seasons. Mine appears to already have left town.

7. Thanks John Whaley thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful details and lighting on the bird. I wished that dark line had been above the bird. Very nice flight pose and I love the talons.

Well done John

Will

9. Thanks John Whaley thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John, welcome to the forum. Overcast light is often a blessing when it comes to whites, wing position is nice, looks sharp, I just wish the intersecting green band
    in the BG wasn't cutting the bird in half.

-Tim

11. Thanks John Whaley thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, a big welcome to BPN, and a great incoming shot of this youngster. Nice wingspread, and we have a great view of those talons. Already mentioned, the dark line across the frame is a bit distracting. Have you got the other shots in your sequence where the Osprey could be above or below the dark band.

13. Thanks John Whaley thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Bowie View Post
    Hi John, a big welcome to BPN, and a great incoming shot of this youngster. Nice wingspread, and we have a great view of those talons. Already mentioned, the dark line across the frame is a bit distracting. Have you got the other shots in your sequence where the Osprey could be above or below the dark band.
    Thank you all for the feedback. It is interesting to me that most find the horizon line distracting as I liked it but that is why I posted in the first place, critique. I actually work to get a background as I usually find bird in flight shots with just sky background less interesting. Always learning. Including another from the sequence with no background.Name:  web baa-4693.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  386.9 KB
    Last edited by John Whaley; 09-17-2016 at 07:12 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the pose here with open wings and readied talons - approaching a perch or nest? Sometimes horizon lines can work, but here it's its placement that is a distraction (squarely across the head). Had it been lower, say, across the tail, or lower, then it would not have been an issue.

16. Thanks John Whaley thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Name:  web baa-4697.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  389.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    I like the pose here with open wings and readied talons - approaching a perch or nest? Sometimes horizon lines can work, but here it's its placement that is a distraction (squarely across the head). Had it been lower, say, across the tail, or lower, then it would not have been an issue.
    One more from the series with a lower background. It is actually shot over a bay and the background line is a barrier island with the Atlantic beyond. Usually the island comes out in a lighter color but there was something unusual about the light on this day.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, I really do like this set you have posted, lots of detail, great pose's, good lighting, I do see what the other comments mean about the outline in the background, for myself its not too distracting. But i'm just wondering if there was detail in the outline (trees ect.) if it would be less distracting, maybe the other commentators could answer this for me. Love the talons and pose in this one, Awesome job!
    Last edited by Brian Desjardins; 09-18-2016 at 09:07 AM.

19. Thanks John Whaley thanked for this post