Thread: Northern Water Snake #2

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Northern Water Snake #2

Name:  Northern-Water-Snake_5096.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  383.1 KB
    Here is an alternate version to the previously posted Northern Water Snake image. Many suggested that less log in front of the snake would be more beneficial...I thought so too so for this image I moved in closer with the Laowa 15mm Wide Angle Macro lens, in fact the front element of the lens is roughly one inch from the snake's head. If you look closely in front of the snake's head you can see a tiny bit of shadow on the log from the lens, but I did not think it was too noticeable so I left it as is. I never use the lens hood with this lens as it always casts a shadow when focusing as close as I did with this snake.

Nikon D800
    Laowa 15mm 1:1 Macro Lens
    ISO 800
    f16 @ 1/160 sec
    Nikon Polarizing Filter
    Handheld

Looking forward to comments and suggestions.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andrew, rather you than me here.

Again, great skill set in both shooting and getting close to your subject. Not sure if the CPL helped, as you lost stops & SS, might have tried without it, but did it really help with the water & glare???? Just a thought, but just opening the darker tones on the front of the head brings a bit more detail & form, however this does look very good as presented. Is there some Magenta coming through in the near side log an easy fix if so???

Love the perspective, you really are making the most from both the lens and portraying animals in a unique way. I am really enjoying the images you are posting on BPN across the board!!!

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks Andrew McLachlan thanked for this post
    Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much Steve...greatly appreciated. The CPL helped to reduce the glare mostly from the water lily leaves making them appear more saturated...good call on the tip of the snake's head, I will lighten that up a bit...not sure on the colour cast as I do have trouble picking those out sometimes, especially the subtle ones.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the image as is it looks great to me. I still think there is a large expanse of log on the left but very much better than the previous one and I see why you composed as such - so the snake would come along the diagonal. I think you made a good choice.
    Now I have read the comments ......well maybe Steve has a good idea there regarding the dark head.
    The magenta cast, well again it didn't occur to me, but now he mentioned it maybe there is, because it has been mentioned I get a bit of auto suggestion

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andrew,
    Nice selective focus on the eye and I like the habitat one can see around the snake - adds another point of interest for me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

One inch from the snakes head!! The only water snakes I have come across are sea snakes in the Indian Ocean and I wouldn't go within Ten feet of them! I really like what you have done with this image. Great focus on the eye and as already mentioned the inclusion of the habitat lends an awful lot to the image. I think that the composition is very well chosen with the snake making a nice diagonal right into the bottom right hand corner. I don't see the magenta but Steve is far more skilled than I am in that department.
    Last edited by David Cowling; 09-14-2016 at 02:16 PM.