Thread: Peep Dispute

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Peep Dispute

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge on Thursday morning past while I was with private client and multiple IPT veteran Elizabeth MacSwann. I sat behind my Induro GIT 304L/Mongoose M3.6-mountedCanon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens, the Canon Extender EF 2X III, and the fast, rugged Canon EOS-1D X Mark II with 64GB Card and Reader. ISO 800. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop: 1/400 sec. at f/9 in Manual mode. Cloudy WB.

Lower center Zone/Shutter Button AF as originally framed was active at the moment of exposure; the five active AF points were (incorrectly, due to operator error) on the bird’s neck. As sharpest focus was on the neck, past the plane of the eye, I replaced the eye and a few head feathers using source material from a sharp frame in the series. Click on the image to see a larger version.

LensAlign/FocusTune micro-adjustment = +5.

Semipalmated Sandpiper dispute (both in fresh juvenal plumage).

Don't be shy; all comments are welcome.

What I would really like to know if do you think that the wing of the second bird (that is actually running away from the attacking bird) is a huge distraction or that it completes the story. Or somewhere in between. You can learn a bit more in the The Next Frame (or Not?)... blog post http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2016/...omment-1737424http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2016/...omment-1737424

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The pose is rather wicked, very cool. Reminiscent of a lawn dart (remember those? They are banned here in Canada ). Low angle and resulting BG are top notch. As for your question, yes, I do think that oof wing is unfortunate. I'd keep it anyhow as the pose is one-of-a-kind.

3. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A difficult one to assess Artie, there are only so many picture perfect shots you can take in a career before you have to put the arty streak into gear.

For me, the wing is too distracting and would probably be a deleted frame, but once the accompanying explanation is give, I found I'd learned a new behavioural aspect that I didn't know about before.

Maybe it needs to be part of a sequence, or at least part of a written article rather than a stand alone shot.

Mike

5. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Artie, I appreciate this frame for its behavioral merit, reminds me of a fencing match, or a sumo wrestler bowing before the opponet jumped the gun... Your PS skills are remarkable as the detail on the head is impeccable, well done again, i also like the fanned feathers throughout.
    cheers, Ann

7. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

For me the intruding wing of the second bird ruins the shot, most unfortunate because the pose of the main subject really makes it very interesting.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie,
    To answer your question, I think the wing is a huge distraction.
    Too bad because the pose of the ppep is really god and you have a great POV,
    Gail

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am loving it.

It tells the story. In just one frame.

A keeper IMO

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

11. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post