Thread: Which filter brand?

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Which filter brand?

Hi all. I was hoping to get some advice on what filter brand I should go for. I've been using Hoya screw on filters for a number of years now but have decided to upgrade to a square filter set-up. I'm looking at the usual manufacturers such as Lee and Hitech-Formatt, and there is also now Nisi filters to consider (who have been attracting great reviews). But what have been the experiences of others with these particular brands? Pros and cons? Are their any other brands I should consider that are of a similar quality and level? I've been searching for other camera lens filters for sale online and comparing prices on auction and classified ads websites to get a feel for the market. But other than these 3 in particular, I cannot find any other contenders. So, assuming these are the 3 I should short list, what are the thoughts and experiences of others with these brands? And if there are other potential products out there that I should be considering, could anybody give me any pointers? Many thanks in advance folks.

Name:  nisi.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  68.2 KB

Nisi filters for anybody who isn't familiar with the brand.

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Nolan View Post
    Hi all. I was hoping to get some advice on what filter brand I should go for. I've been using Hoya screw on filters for a number of years now but have decided to upgrade to a square filter set-up. I'm looking at the usual manufacturers such as Lee and Hitech-Formatt, and there is also now Nisi filters to consider (who have been attracting great reviews). But what have been the experiences of others with these particular brands? Pros and cons? Are their any other brands I should consider that are of a similar quality and level? I've been searching for other camera lens filters for sale online and comparing prices on auction and classified ads websites to get a feel for the market. But other than these 3 in particular, I cannot find any other contenders. So, assuming these are the 3 I should short list, what are the thoughts and experiences of others with these brands? And if there are other potential products out there that I should be considering, could anybody give me any pointers? Many thanks in advance folks.

Name:  nisi.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  68.2 KB

Nisi filters for anybody who isn't familiar with the brand.
    Decided to run with the Nisi brand folks. They're made of glass rather than resin so there is always a risk of cracking them but a lot less risk of scratching them as with the resin filters. I'll let you know how I get on in due course.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Chuck what filters are you looking to use graduated filter or pure NDs. I no longer use grads as I find it easier to blend different exposures in post and with the new sensors if you're shooting Sony or Nikon just exposed for the highlights and adjust the shadows in post without the need to blend.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lacy View Post
    Chuck what filters are you looking to use graduated filter or pure NDs. I no longer use grads as I find it easier to blend different exposures in post and with the new sensors if you're shooting Sony or Nikon just exposed for the highlights and adjust the shadows in post without the need to blend.
    Hi Chuck, I'm looking at pure ND for long exposure. But I've already decided on Nisi now. Thanks for the advice.