Thread: Nikon 600mm f4 help

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Nikon 600mm f4 help

Hello all. I recently had the amazing opportunity to pick up a Nikon 600mm f4D AF-S I IF-ED for the delicious price of $2100, including a Jobu 2 Gimbal head. It weighs in at around 13 lbs, but I'm 20 and have no fears of handholding the beast for shorter periods. That being said, what are a nice pair of legs I should consider for my setup, especially since the lens has no VR? Right now I have a 300f4 and a carbon fiber set of legs, and I want to upgrade to something beefier. Would also love to hear others' thoughts on this lens, considering it's 20 years old. Ideally I would pick up one of the VR versions, but that simply isn't feasible on a college student income at this time.

Also, I'm 6'4" so that can become a factor in picking a suitable set of legs.

Thanks,

Walker
    Last edited by Walker Noe; 08-20-2016 at 01:53 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I mainly hand hold, but when I need a tripod I use an Induro 404 carbon fiber. You need something very sturdy for that lens, particularly if you're going to shoot at lower SS.

Here's a link to their current model:

http://www.indurogear.com/products/induro-clt404l.aspx

13-lb is pretty near the limit for most of us. I've got a linebacker build, but I'm 68 and can get tired holding my puny little 8-lb Canon 500/f4. You need a strategy to keep the weight off your arms when you're not actually shooting. I find that a padded shoulder strap works quite well. It gets the load off, but keeps the lens at the ready. Also, carrying that load for hours at a time, holding it by the foot does not give you the rest your need and can strain the tendons in your elbow.

Congrats on the incredible deal.

3. Thanks Walker Noe thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks David. I think I am going to go with the Gitzo 1548. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Also does anyone know where I can pick up a spare hood for the beast? It was not included. I received the lens today and it is in pristine condition. Yeah!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You will be surprised at the price of a Nikon Hood, 1/4 of what you paid:

http://tinyurl.com/zw39cje

You might want to look into this:

http://tinyurl.com/j7wk7uo

6. Thanks Walker Noe thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow. Thanks Allan. That TravelHood is exactly what I am looking for!