Thread: American Oystercatcher

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default American Oystercatcher

Attached Images Attached Images

Yesterday Dottie and I went to Ft. Desoto County Park in Pinellas County, Florida. We tried the north lagoon at first light but the mosquitoes were so heavy we retreated to the beach. At the beach the highlight was two oystercatchers working the surf and breaking waves. I am always amazed when I see some of the birds head on how narrow their beaks/bills are compared to the impression from the side view. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 400mm (600mm FFE)
    1/1250 F/5.6 Matrix Metering -1/3 EV ISO 250 AWB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC, bright specular highlights removed from the breaking wave
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 08-18-2016 at 08:01 PM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

like the waves in the BG, nice light too but wish the head was a bit more parallel to the back of the camera and that we could see the feet
    TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Arash, thank you for viewing, commenting and suggesting improvements. I have many images with your suggestions, I captured a couple hundred images as I followed the two oystercatchers along the beach. This post is another image of the same bird reflecting your suggestions. I have a question which I always go back and forth on... should I remove the specular highlights on the bill?

The same settings as used for the previous posted image. I removed a second catch light and fixed an area where the black pixels of the pupil had bled into the iris.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like both shots, the visible feet do make a difference to the subject. As for the specular highlights, depends on your point of view I guess, ........do you expect them to be there - yes, .....do they look as though they spoil the image - no. In the image without the highlights I am left wondering were there any there in the first place -........has the image been cleaned up. I think we can make images "too clean" sometimes.

6. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the first post best. The waves behind the subject really make it for me. Well done.

Will

8. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Joe,
    two very different posts, however I like the last post, i think there is more detail that can be teased out. I like the colors, the light, and the raised foot. Well done Joe. As someone said to me as i was photographing this species, "don't ya just love an oyster cracker?" how could i say "no!"

10. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe the 2nd one is a much better image IMO as it shows the nice beak and eyes without the distortion caused by the HA in the first image. Not to mention we can see the raised foot. As for the beak I would tone it down the highlight area.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

12. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the second image.
    I have an interesting story for you about this particular OC. Grace Scalzo and I were photographing at Fort deSoto in April of 2013 when Grace noticed he had fishing line wound tightly around his ankle.The line was so tight his foot was swollen and dusky and obviously at risk of limb loss.
    We flagged down a passing park ranger and told him about the bird. He promised to return with help.
    We did not see the rescue but I was told the following week that they had managed to catch him and remove the fishing line. You can see the permanent scar left by the fishing line scar. He has his permanent "bracelet".
    I am always happy when I see images of him to know he is alive and well.
    Gail

14. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like both images. The pose in the first works for me, he seems to be walking along with a "This is my beach!" attitude. The wave crashing in the background gives a nice sense of place.

16. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    I like the second image.
    I have an interesting story for you about this particular OC. Grace Scalzo and I were photographing at Fort deSoto in April of 2013 when Grace noticed he had fishing line wound tightly around his ankle.The line was so tight his foot was swollen and dusky and obviously at risk of limb loss.
    We flagged down a passing park ranger and told him about the bird. He promised to return with help.
    We did not see the rescue but I was told the following week that they had managed to catch him and remove the fishing line. You can see the permanent scar left by the fishing line scar. He has his permanent "bracelet".
    I am always happy when I see images of him to know he is alive and well.
    Gail
    Hi Gail, amazing... when looking at the image I wondered what happened to that leg. I zoomed in studying it closely. Wonderful that three years ago you saw the fishing line and telling the ranger saved it's leg. Nice to know that three years later the bird is still enjoying the beaches at Ft. Desoto and doing well. Thank for the story, love it when things like that happen.
    Joe Przybyla

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for viewing, commenting and suggesting improvements, very much appreciated.
    Joe Przybyla