Thank You Posts

Default Little Grebe with Damsel Fly

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX
    f/4 500mm with 1.4
    f/6.3
    1/1250
    ISO 1250

This is an image I captured the other evening, from my hide at the loch side. This Little Grebe was swimming quite quickly back and forth, always with a fish, but then a Damsel Fly. I think the nest was nearby and the chicks were being fed.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The damsel fly is very cool!The eye looks great and image nice and sharp.
    I know that the reflection lines up but my eye really wants this image to be rotated clockwise.
    I would crop from the bottom to get rid of the transected reflection of the head.
    It looks like it was quite dark and grey when you took this image. I would increase the exposure by 1/3.
    Nice one Will,
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great detail and the prey puts it over the top with the perfect low attitude, I agree with a slight rotation

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Will, nice captured, the damselfly really adds interest to the image. Nice feather detail and color, wonderful smooth water for a background. I read the comments regarding rotating the image clockwise which would line the ripple with the frame, I think doing that would result in the birds head and neck appearing off kilter to the right. Just a thought... thank you for posting.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That damselfly is a really cool prey item! I like the low angle, bow wake. Maybe a bit of rotation, but not much needed. I do agree with cropping off more at the bottom to hide the head.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool bird and a really neat damselfly. Definitely swimming a bit uphill. Great suggestion on the crop by Dan. The head feathers look a bit coarse to me.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.